Bloody sweet thai food

dullnight

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I get the drift, but how do I start asking the cook to cut the sugar in dishes which are not supposed to be sweet ? And will the cook manage such a feat anyway? Besides how do I get unsweetened drinks without heading to Paragon or Emporium or similarly remote gourmet supermarkets?? Like, what would it take for a 7/11 to stock on some of those?? Happy we have a Starbucks downstairs as well, but for the food, it's far from OK.

I really don't understand how thai food got this famous worldwide, must be strongly related to the little ability of thai migrants to make a living other than giving head or serving food.

All the times I were in BKK, I made a lot of stops to Mai Kaidee's (even took the class), ahaan J, so this certainly isn't normal food for Thai's.

But one time I was walking around Ratchadapisek after swimming with the fishees, (where do you think I spent my Bush Tax Rebate?) I was just looking for food to bring back to the hotel since I was leaving the next day. But one place motioned for me to come in and eat in their restaurant in the back, and it looked like more a place average Thai's ate at. They had a farang menu so I could convey what I wanted to eat, and it was absolutely delicious.

But it wasn't sweet at all, if anything, it was salty, but I would say the seasonings were well combined. It suppose it had MSG, I usually can tell (they use that a lot in the Chinese places where I live in the USA) but I didnâ??t get the usual feeling after that.

OK, I get the drift, but how do I start asking the cook to cut the sugar in dishes which are not supposed to be sweet ? And will the cook manage such a feat anyway?.

Well, last trip I ate at a place in a mall that has a lot of restaraunts in a restaraunt (and you have an ATM type card as you order items from different stations.). I normally wouldn't do eat at places like this, but I read about it in the guidebook and said, "what the fuck, i will try it once". At one place, the person knew enough English to ask me what I wanted, and by this time, I knew enough Thai to say I want ahaan-J (vegetarian food), so she made me up a stir fry. It was the best thing of all the other things I had gotten there. It seems that in BKK, if you don't like what's on the menu, they will invent a dish for you on the spot.

So my advice, learn how to say what you want in Thai. You don't need to know that many words.

Hasn't a BG or TGF ever said you have Bpaak-waan when you are flirting with them? Bpaak means mouth, waan means "sweet". (Rising tone) "Sweet mouth", just like "sweet talk" in English.

I am sure there are people here who speak Thai better than me, but wouldn't Mai koi waan convey that you don't want it so sweet?

BKKtraveller,

you might look at the article about sashimi for what you're looking for.

Al,

I've been staying in Thailand over 5 years over the 12 last ones so kindda know how to pronounce may koy wan and similar... fuck me I don't intend to go shopping along the street food stalls. Not sure it's what what I was talking about. Must look at your post again in a more sober state (it's 4.12am here and I'm wrecked). I must say though you have a good taste for fishtanks :thumbup:

I'm a fan of cantonese, the most sober part of french food and japanese food, where the sauce is discreete and the freshness and texture of the meat and fish is of prime importance.

it's all a matter of perspective! after eating whole last week mainly cantonese food, i am glad for a change this week! and even having the best french chef cooking for me, i would pass and go to the next foodstall latest after 2 weeks.

as for using too many spices to overtone taste of original meat, fish and vegetable. this is rather a matter of the cook and not the style of cuisine!

"With thai food, they could serve you frozen dog shit you would have a hard time noticing it the sauce beeing so strong."

Yes... we mostly discussed the sweet aspect in this thread and forgot about that part... well... I did something rather silly yesterday and ordered some seafood in Forte... so spicy it was difficult to judge the quality of the food. Hope immodium will help.

This morning, while the hangover feeling wasn't a joke, it was largely overwhelmed by a very serious stomach upset. Something was definetely wrong with their seafood, and this is due to go largely unchecked with so strong extra flavours.

Samak,

I was also in Guangdong last week, and the food was the best part of this journey. I can go on quite a while just mixing it with mediterranean cuisines and some japanese.

I understand the need for change, and actually do hit westernised thai and lao restaurants when in BKK, but that never happens overseas. Yet good luck TB for your wife's reatuarant.

Besides i'm not so sure about the gross mix of flavours beeing related to the cook, it seems quite standard in thai and lao food.

Archived