EMERGENCY! Bars closed Sat night?

radioman

I have been in LOS during 'all bars closed' or 'no alcohol' or whatever one describes it.

I did find a bar (lights off), did have a beer, and did obtain a rather nice 'sudsey' !!

For some of us who are experts on Thailand, finding a bar or a beer at a bar is not a problem during such times.

I am not bragging. Just stating the facts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two satang based on past experience and asking two BGs last (Friday) night.

Alcohol cannot be sold starting at 6 p.m. tonight (Saturday). It's up to the bars to determine if they want to stay open or not when when they are not legally permitted to serve alcohol. If you cannot serve alcohol or customers think you will not be able to serve alcohol, my hunch is you will have less customers. (But then I don't own a bar.)

On the other hand, because enforcement of this law can and does vary tremendously from election to election and venue to venue, its hard to know beforehand what the authorities will actually allow, and this makes it harder for bars to determine whether to close or not. The bar ownners are presumably discussing or have already discussed this "issue" with the authorities, and the best source is therefore a post from a bar owner.

But then we also know - this being Thailand - that sudden and unexpected u-turns in policy and promises are to be expected. My guess, if the right signals are being sent, the bars will remain open, but will require a certain amount of discretion.

And since nothing is 100% here, I am off to Villa now to buy some wine and then I will start making early evening arrangements with some of my favorite BGs.

Following on from my post above, I sent an SMS to the mobile numbers of several BGs that are saved on my 'other' phone (this is not the same as BGs I know well, and you will see why in this post). Three responses:

1. "Yes, but no beer" Unfortunately, however, I don't recall where she works and I didn't leave myself any clues in her contact details. I cannot even recall what she looks like, but I must have enjoyed her company enough to save her number (or was very drunk or both).

2. "Who are you? Pls call me". No information on this one (either in my phone's or my own memory) and, even though she apparantly doesn't know who I am either, she still wants to meet. Hmmm...was she good or was I drunk when I put this number down? See response number 3.

3. "Not sure yet" An uncertain answer is usually a good indicator of truthfulness in Thailand (things are never certain here). She works on Soi Cowboy, but I do remember what she looks like and I wonder why I put her number in my phone.

I haven't tried my regulars yet since if I send a SMS to them I am sort of committed, and I want to wait a bit.

Didn't even open this thread when I noticed it yesterday... perhaps I should have... started feeling the pain at 6.10pm in the Oriental Lounge when the attendant noted that she was serving me this Negroni but that would be it for the evening... O disaster, all those people complaining against genocide prolly never had to endure forced sobriety... we had a look on the Terrace, than in China House than in the wine bar turned orange juice bunker V9 and finally Shanghai 39 in Sofitel Silom... I can imagine burials to be more fun than those restaurants tonight... fuckin' elections... such a waste of time again and again... anyway my bad mood was about to spoil the evening when Missus Dull had the bright idea to hit the Teochew Restaurant in Sri Paya. Smart bird :applause:

Half decent sea fod but plenty of booze and chinese manland hookers, vely goos :thumbup:

My two satang based on past experience and asking two BGs last (Friday) night.

Alcohol cannot be sold starting at 6 p.m. tonight (Saturday). It's up to the bars to determine if they want to stay open or not when when they are not legally permitted to serve alcohol. If you cannot serve alcohol or customers think you will not be able to serve alcohol, my hunch is you will have less customers. (But then I don't own a bar.)

On the other hand, because enforcement of this law can and does vary tremendously from election to election and venue to venue, its hard to know beforehand what the authorities will actually allow, and this makes it harder for bars to determine whether to close or not. The bar ownners are presumably discussing or have already discussed this "issue" with the authorities, and the best source is therefore a post from a bar owner.

But then we also know - this being Thailand - that sudden and unexpected u-turns in policy and promises are to be expected. My guess, if the right signals are being sent, the bars will remain open, but will require a certain amount of discretion.

And since nothing is 100% here, I am off to Villa now to buy some wine and then I will start making early evening arrangements with some of my favorite BGs.

Gaddie,

Well said and explained.

"And since nothing is 100% here, I am off to Villa now to buy some wine and then I will start making early evening arrangements with some of my favorite BGs."

And this is exactly the best way to ensure a good night. Buy the booze needed ahead of time, and set up any 'dates' one would like for the 'closing days' ahead of time as well. Hardly an emergency except maybe for those flying in that night. And as others have said, one can always find a place selling liquor in an innovative way. Bars closed? Well, the freelancers aren't. :thumbup:

Where there's a will there's a way.

SOI COWBOY - totally dark. Didn't even get out of the taxi and explore. Perhaps other did, and can report?

NEP - Neon on and bars open, but no alcohol and few customers. To be fair, I didn't try hard, since I polished off a good bottle of wine with a friend at a Japanese resturant on Thonglor (dead) before heading off to the standard Farang entertainment venues.

REGULARS - I got lazy and had too much wine (served in tea cups) at one of my favorite Japanese restaruants on Thonglor.

HOME - Guards are totally blitzed. One is sleeping on the footpath, a pool of vomit only

centimeters from his head (presumably his). Everytime there is an election or holiday here where you are not allowed to drink, the staff where I live are legless. This never happens when drinking is allowed. Go figure.

HOME - Guards are totally blitzed. One is sleeping on the footpath, a pool of vomit only

centimeters from his head (presumably his). Everytime there is an election or holiday here where you are not allowed to drink, the staff where I live are legless. This never happens when drinking is allowed. Go figure.

:yeahthat:

After reading that observation I had to go downstairs and check on the soberity of the guards where we live, I confirm the same here.

Why don't you guys do as the Thais do. The elections are on only in Bangkok.

Not in Samut Prakan. Not in Nonthaburi and not in Pathum Thani. Where many places were packed tonight. Also I have seen quite a few places in Bangkok tonight that sold alcohol .... if they now you .... the ironic thing is I barely drink alcohol myself.

Waerth

Nothing startling to report other than what others have already said. At least our dinner was a success with booze a plenty and after our Cowboy forward scout reported in we moved directly to NEP. Tried a few places but found absolutely no alcohol available.

I left and took the taxi home heading north out of Bangkok and of course like Waerth says no problem with booze out of town. In fact I noticed that a couple of the new bars that have sprung up around the university here were really doing some hot trade last night as no doubt the city folks were taking advantage of the opportunity to try something new. I was a bit tired to bother stopping but noticed a lot of people and plenty of women. Pretty much a Thai only scene out here and always feel a bit edgy just barging in without a local, at least the first time.

I'll be out of town for the three days in mid November but would guess most places country wide will be shut then though.

Archived