RIP Paul Harvey

Man at Work

He must have been around forever. I remember him from when I was a kid in the 1950s.

Remembering Paul Harvey, voice of America

There was a time in my life when nothing excited me so much as a Paul Harvey news and comment. No one invested a newscast with such thrilling vigor and optimism as Paul Harvey.

When he gave up the fight on Saturday at the age of 90 â?? preceded in death last year by his beloved wife, Angel â?? it truly was the end of an era, in politics as well as media.

Paul Harvey was a conservative who didnâ??t feel the need to rip viciously into those who believed differently from himself. Try finding that on the airwaves today. His is a type of broadcaster who has gone away and is not coming back.

â??Idiosyncraticâ? doesnâ??t begin to describe the combined effect of his voice, phrasing, news selection and worldview. In the America where I grew up, Paul Harvey was a uniter, not a divider. And yet he was anything but a centrist or a moderate.

The son of a Tulsa police officer who grew up in a family of fundamentalist preachers, Paul Harvey Aurandt knew the value of sticking to his core beliefs, if not his last name.

Paul Harvey was created more than 60 years ago when Joe Kennedy recommended that he be promoted to a national show. The ABC radio studios were housed in the Chicago Merchandise Mart, which Kennedy owned.

â??Harvey found a way to ride the tide of anti-communism but to preach a still more fundamentalist message, based on a vision of America that could stand alone, at once world empire and nation of yeoman individualists,â? wrote Pat Aufderheide in a 1983 magazine profile.

At times he would sound wildly out of the loop, while other pronouncements (in hindsight) were positively prescient. Like skinny neckties, his views just went in and out of style.

I loved his unfailing enthusiasm for biofuels, which were key to his vision of national self-sufficiency. If scientists in Iowa were working on a way to run electricity plants on pig manure, you could count on Paul to spread the good news.

The flagship of â??Paul Harvey News and Commentâ? was the four-page (five pages on Saturday) noon newscast, which could have taken on import only in the Heartland, with its captive audience of farmers and housekeepers.

In the years before Rush Limbaugh, this midday missive to the faithful allowed him to become hugely influential while, at the same time, remaining unnoticed by most of the mainstream news media.

In recent years, as his health failed, his son Paul Harvey Jr. filled in more and more. Inevitably, stations stopped carrying the not-Paul Harvey news and comment show.

He was dropped in Kansas City, Boston, Milwaukee ... the list of cities grew longer. Sometimes a weaker station in the market would pick him up, sometimes not. Rural stations, the backbone of the Paul Harvey network, stayed faithful.

He is gone, but his influence remains among the two generations of broadcasters who grew up listening to his voice booming over the AM radio.

Keith Olbermann was Paul Harveyâ??s official fill-in from 2001 to 2003. On Sunday he recalled how overwhelmed he felt when he realized how much information he was expected to cram into the broadcast.

â??Each segment began with hard news, moved on to commentary, ended with celebrity and then something light or silly, then a commercial,â? he said.

Olbermann adapted, though, and soon he realized that the formula could work in places other than the Paul Harvey studios.

When he got a chance to return to MSNBC, Olbermann pitched his bosses a new format for a fast-paced program that combined news and comment, with a few oddball items to lighten the load. He had no doubt that it would work, and with good reason. It was Paul Harveyâ??s format.

â??I stole it almost entirely for â??Countdown,â??â? Olbermann said.

Link

Archived