Living with a Thai Girl – Alice's Restaurant

Nervous God

Title's a bit cryptic I know, it refers to the 60's movie with Arlo Guthrie about avoiding the draft. I remember seeing it at the Maroochydore cinema when I was a little kid with one of my sister's boyfriends. Real nice bloke who was memorable for two reasons. One he introduced me to “Halva†the Mid East sweet, and told me it was made from Camel poo, I believed him too! The second was he died soon after from a shark attack, which is pretty rare regardless of the movies.

Today's the Thai draft day in our area at least. It's the day you don't want to win the lottery or get the lucky number. So far Chet has been given a out in the first round of medicals. Have a pert left breast was a no-no so Chet got a no go chit.

His other mates from our village have their numbers written on their arm's. Mates usually hang together in small groups. Girlfriends and wives sit together, and parents and smaller siblings sit together everyone finding a shady spot out of the hot weather, drinking what the local vendors are selling.

Sugar cane juice is popular now, being at the end of the season. The long dry is getting hotter, small uncontrolled fires are a pest but not the danger they are back in Australia. Everything is hot, dry and humourless.

The hall is large, with glass windows half open. Inside the boys are lined up shirtless, sadly no female draft or national service. I'd approve the national service if the option was open to the girls, and the people went of to be ambulance drivers, old age home staff, or learnt trades or job skills that gave them a leg up plus a small wage so they'd be independent from their family income for a while. And of course if recruiting happened same way same time.

We stand around and joke with the boys, I offer to buy Chet a bra, “red or Black†I ask, they all laugh and think Red of course. One lads wife comes up, chats and leaves, the DarLek offers to the boy if he's recruited, then the girl can stay with her for 2 years, more laughter.

I've known these boys since they where 10 or 11, now all of them 21, and no longer playing soldiers is a pastime they look forward too. Overall the mood is serious, many people, indeed many of the boys here have already worked in the South. It's a common area for work in our village, and they know first hand the troubles and want to avoid them.

Every year my wife offers to buy any boy called up from our group of family and friends a case of beer if their number is called, so far we've not had to buy a case, I hope our luck holds out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing Dyslexic Dog, I always enjoy your commentry from the village and the pics that go with it.

I am going to have to remember to start carrying my camera with me when I take the dogs out. Although not as rural as yourself 10-15 minutes walk from home and I get to rustic areas.

Basically, when a Thai Male reaches 21 they have to report to their local recruiting office to take part in a lucky dip. After the Medical if you pick the wrong coloured ball you will then be a soldier for the next two years. A few years ago there was the famous case where the tennis player Paradon was able to get out of conscription on a technicality. Apparently he is registered as a part-time teacher for a local school. Teachers are automatically exempt. This was controversial because everyone knows he spends most of his time abroad playing in tournaments.

Corinthian, Not a hundred % sure but my brother in law was drafted into the Royal Thai Navy and I think he did 2 years? The other brother in law was going into the army but they rejected him for being too small!

Simie.

p.s. Mekong beat me to it so it does looks like it is 2 years.

Archived