Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Nixon at least tried to get some action but should Reagan be on the list? Nearsightedness. BS!

Reagan's Military Service: After completing fourteen home-study Army Extension Courses, Reagan enlisted in the Army Enlisted Reserve[28] on April 29, 1937, as a private assigned to Troop B, 322nd Cavalry at Des Moines, Iowa.[29] He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps of the Cavalry on May 25, 1937.[30]

Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his nearsightedness, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas.[31] His first assignment was at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation at Fort Mason, California, as a liaison officer of the Port and Transportation Office.[32] Upon the approval of the Army Air Force (AAF), he applied for a transfer from the Cavalry to the AAF on May 15, 1942, and was assigned to AAF Public Relations and subsequently to the First Motion Picture Unit (officially, the "18th AAF Base Unit") in Culver City, California.[32] On January 14, 1943 he was promoted to First Lieutenant and was sent to the Provisional Task Force Show Unit of This Is The Army at Burbank, California.[32] He returned to the First Motion Picture Unit after completing this duty and was promoted to Captain on July 22, 1943.[29]

In January 1944, Captain Reagan was ordered to temporary duty in New York City to participate in the opening of the sixth War Loan Drive. He was re-assigned to the First Motion Picture Unit on November 14, 1944, where he remained until the end of World War II.[29] He was recommended for promotion to Major on February 2, 1945, but this recommendation was disapproved on July 17 of that year.[33] He returned to Fort MacArthur, California, where he was separated from active duty on December 9, 1945.[33] By the end of the war, his units had produced some 400 training films for the AAF

Nixon: Nixon completed Officers Candidate School and was commissioned as an ensign in October 1942. His first post was as aide to the commander of the Ottumwa Naval Air Station in Iowa. Seeking more excitement, he requested sea duty and was reassigned as the naval passenger control officer for the South Pacific Combat Air Transport Command, supporting the logistics of operations in the South West Pacific theater.[37][38] After requesting more challenging duties, he was given command of cargo handling units.[39] Nixon earned two service stars and a citation of commendation, although he saw no actual combat.

What ever one says about Obama's lack of military service. He's resisted using them at times like in Libya. Carter went to the Naval Academey at least.

:stirthepo

post-98-0-37209400-1324951117.jpg

Excellent ! There we have Clinton, who decided to vacation in Moscow instead of VN. And Barry apparently decided that service to the country as we used to know it, was beneath him.

BTW, Steve, I don't deduct points from a person who has served in our military solely because they did not see combat. I'm just as thankful to those who taught cryptography or swimming at home as those who were on the front lines. You don't have to die to serve our country...though seeing Barry doing that wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep.

KK

Excellent ! There we have Clinton, who decided to vacation in Moscow instead of VN. And Barry apparently decided that service to the country as we used to know it, was beneath him.

BTW, Steve, I don't deduct points from a person who has served in our military solely because they did not see combat. I'm just as thankful to those who taught cryptography or swimming at home as those who were on the front lines. You don't have to die to serve our country...though seeing Barry doing that wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep.

KK

I agree only with the part about not belittling non combat duty and I apologize for that inference in my post. I'm a huge supporter of military folks. Always have, as I've stated before I have siblings and relatives who have served and a few have seen combat. I actually turend down a commission for the Naval Academy in HS. Not enough women and I didn't want to do another 6 years and be out at 28. I know I wouldn't have been able to hack it frankly.

I had a neighbor who was a WW2 vet but had to drive supply trucks in Europe because he wasn't allowed to see combat (although there were black combat units). He felt bad about it. I was thinking you were lucky and he said at the time everyone wanted to do their part and he said at that time in America more than any point before or since you really appreciated the country, even minorities. A friend's Puerto Rican uncle was able to serve but he was very light complexioned.

Anyway, the list made it seem like Reagan was fighting and he wasn't. He did his part and would assume proudly but it was deceptive to some extent I thought.

At least Obama didn't dodge anything like Cheyney and Bush. Maybe he would have, we don't know. But it always seems its those types are quick to send troops to die. Ike wanted out of Korea and although I think (Flash may know best) started sending advisors to S. Vietnam, I don't think he wanted a large scale war.

CS - The Eisenhower Doctrine wrote off former French Indo-China as indefensible. Hanoi was too strong politically and militarily, and the governments of South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia too weak to resist it. Ike sent advisors to SVN, but he was determined not to get too deeply involved. Under Ike the US military effort was aimed at bolstering Thaland's defences and stopping the reds at the Mekhong River.

It was JFK who decided that SVN could be "saved from communism". I've often wondered why, and if it was because SVN at the time was ruled by Ngo Dinh Diem, a Roman Catholic. JFK sent in US troops for the first time in large numbers. Then LBJ was determined the South wouldn't fall on his watch and continued the war. It was Nixon who found a way to squirm out of it.

KK

President Obama was only 13 years old when the Vietnam War ended.... are you criticising him now for not lying about his age in order to enlist? Give us a break, mate.

:beer:

President Obama was only 13 years old when the Vietnam War ended.... are you criticising him now for not lying about his age in order to enlist? Give us a break, mate.

:beer:

We have a standing army, navy, air force and marine corps and coast guard all year, every year. The asshole should have been able to get into West Point or one of the other ervice academies IF he was as bright as his komrads claim. Same with Klinton. Oxford Scholar? Okay, presumably smart enough to get into a service academy and play sax in the band, no? Give me a break !