Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Charles Barkley On Zimmerman Trial: "I Agree With The Verdict"

CHARLES BARKLEY (NBA Hall of Fame): Well, I agreed with the verdict. I feel sorry that young kid got killed. But they didn't have enough evidence to charge him. Something clearly went wrong that night. Clearly something went wrong. I feel bad for anybody who loses a kid, but if you looked at the case and you don't make it -- there was some racial profiling, no question about it. But something happened that changed the dynamic of that night, and I know -- that's probably not a popular opinion among most people but just looking at the evidence I agreed with the verdict.

I just feel bad because I don't like when race gets out in the media because I don't think the media has a pure heart, as I call it. There are very few people have a pure heart when it comes to race. Racism is wrong in any, shape, form -- a lot of black people are racist too. I think sometimes when people talk about racism, they say only white people are racist. There are a lot of black people who are racist. I don't like when it gets out there in the media because I don't think the media has clean hands.

MARIA BARTIROMO, CNBC: I'm glad you made that point.

BARKLEY: Obviously I feel sorry that young kid got killed but just judging by the evidence, I don't think that guy should have went to jail the rest of his life. Something happened bad that night, obviously.

BARTIROMO: I like what the juror said, they both should have walked away. And if there is a shadow of a doubt, there is a shadow of a doubt.

BARKLEY: And let me tell you, Mr. Zimmerman was wrong to pursue -- he was racial profiling. I think Trayvon Martin, God rest his soul, I think he did flip the switch and started beating the hell out of Mr. Zimmerman. But it was just a bad situation. And like I said, the main thing I feel bad for, it gives every black and white person who is racist a platform to vent their ignorance.

That's the thing that bothers me the most because I watched this trial closely and I watch all these people are television talking about it. A lot of people have a hidden agenda. You know, they want their racist views, whether they are white or black --

BARTIROMO: The bias comes out.

BARKLEY: The bias, it definitely comes out. It was a bad situation, we all lost. And I feel bad for his parents. You don't ever want to see anybody lose a kid. (CNBC Closing Bell, July 18, 2013)

Video:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/07/18/charles_barkley_on_zimmerman_trial_i_agree_with_the_verdict.html

Obama urges nation to grapple with race

President Obama said Friday that all Americans should respect a jury's acquittal of George Zimmerman in the killing of Trayvon Martin, but white Americans should also understand that African Americans are pained by Trayvon's death and continue to face racial discrimination.

"Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago," the nation's first African-American president said during a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room.

Obama, who last year said the 17-year-old Florida shooting victim could just as easily have been his son, talked about how he has been subjected to casual prejudice. He also said African Americans need to address the problems of violence in their own communities.

African-American males know they are more likely to be both "victims and perpetrators of violence," Obama said, and "somebody like Trayvon Martin was probably statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else."

The problem is that so many people paint with a "broad brush" and see all black young men as potential criminals, Obama said.

A Florida jury acquitted Zimmerman on Saturday night of murder in the 2012 death of 17-year-old Trayvon. This was Obama's first on-camera comments on the case since the verdict was handed down Saturday night. He had had issued a written statement calling for calm on Sunday.

Obama has generally avoiding discussing racial issues -- today was probably his most extensive comments on the issue as president, reminiscent of his speech on race relations during the 2008 campaign.

In an extraordinary 19-minute appearance, Obama spoke personally and at times emotionally about the frustrations African-Americans have with the justice system, and the continuing racial divides that shadow the nation.

"I think it's important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn't go away," Obama said, and "it's going to be important for all of us to do some soul-searching."

Obama told reporters that, like other African Americans, he has been followed by security guards while shopping, and has seen motorists lock their doors or women hold tighter to their purses as he walked near them. While didn't want to "exaggerate," Obama said "those sets of experiences inform how the African-American community interprets what happened one night in Florida."

He cited racial disparities in the criminal justice system, and how blacks tend to be charged more often with drug offenses and sentenced to longer prison terms than whites. He also said it's fair to wonder what would have happened in Florida if the shooter had been a young African-American.

Obama said he respects the different views of the verdict, but the trial was conducted professionally, and "once the jury has spoken, that's how our system works." While demonstrations and peaceful protests are understandable, he said violence "dishonors what happened to Trayvon Martin and his family."

Said Obama: "Now, the question for me at least, and I think for a lot of folks, is where do we take this?"

While the Justice Department investigates whether to charge Zimmerman with civil rights violations in the case, Obama said state and local levels should examine whether changes to laws can head off violent confrontations. He cited laws to ban racial profiling, and proposed new kind of training for law enforcement in order "to reduce the kind of mistrust in the system that sometimes currently exists."

The president also questioned the wisdom of Florida's "stand your ground" law, which, in the view of critics, all but encourages confrontation that could turn deadly.

Obama also suggested people consider whether Trayvon also had the right to stand his ground, adding: "Do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman who had followed him in a car because he felt threatened?"

The nation should also think about ways to "bolster and reinforce our African American boys," Obama said, saying there are too many kids out there who need help, but "are getting a lot of negative reinforcement."

Obama said all Americans should do "soul-searching" in the wake of the verdict and the reactions to it, but questioned whether a full-blown "national conversation" would do much good if too many politicians or pundits were involved.

"On the other hand, in families and churches and workplaces, there's the possibility that people are a little bit more honest, and at least you ask yourself your own questions about, am I wringing as much bias out of myself as I can?" Obama said.

Borrowing a quote from Abraham Lincoln, Obama said political leaders should do whatever they can to encourage ''the better angels of our nature." rather than "using these episodes to heighten divisions."

Obama also said that Americans should realize that, over the course of decades, American race relations have improved, citing his daughters and their friends as examples. While that doesn't means "we're in a post-racial society," Obama said there is progress.

"I don't want us to lose sight that things are getting better," Obama said.

Obama also paid tribute to Trayvon's parents, saying that "I can only imagine what they're going through and it's remarkable how they've handled it."

In a statement, Trayvon's parents Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton said Friday, "we are deeply honored and moved that President Obama took the time to speak publicly and at length about our son, Trayvon. The President's comments give us great strength at this time."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/07/19/obama-trayvon-marin-george-zimmerman/2568811/

http://youtu.be/9v2xqYmfcxo

"Anyone with doubts as to the ongoing resourcefulness of ordinary Americans should watch the Frontline documentary, Two American Families, which aired on PBS this week. Two families from Milwaukee were tracked over 22 years as they attempted to attain a modest version of the American dream: raise a family in a house that they owned, and maybe one day stop working.

That neither achieved these goals, despite decades-long effort, made the documentary profoundly depressing. It also put pay to the lie that the only difference between success and failure is hard work and innovation. As George Packer noted drily in the New Yorker, when times get tough for the two families:

None of them thinks of inventing Napster.

Both families, one white, one black, started out living on incomes from a single skilled manufacturing job with union protection, entailing decent wages and benefits. Both lost their jobs when those industries downsized and sent the majority of contracts overseas. Unionized labour was replaced with service industry "opportunities" with low wages and no benefits. Tony Neumann went from earning $18 an hour as an engine-maker at Briggs and Stratton, to making $6 at a fast food joint."

LINK

When I was in the States, companies were already switching to "temps" - and that was in the 1990s! Temps get paid well ... for the few months they work. Then they have to struggle to find something else to do. I lost my job, but it was the federal government cutting back. Slick Willie elminated my position. (This was when the military was actually paying career soldiers to get out! Compare that to today.)

Regarding Martin/Zimmerman. Anyone who kept fairly close tabs on the trial woudn't be shocked by the verdict. it was a tough case to prosecute but I also think the prosecution wasn't good...for whatever reasons.

I also sense a tiredness with many Whites with regards to specifically Black issues in America. Its a 'look, we're tired of hearing about racism. Get over it. Times are tough for everyone'. I'm not saying its wrong or right but its the prevailing sentiment with many I'm guessing. Years of dealing with some of Jackson's and Sharpton's antics helped that sentiment. I can understand the seniment as much as I can try to be objective and empathetic. I do think there are some faults on both sides.

Sadly, I also think that there is a gulf that will not likely be bridged. Some of it historical, most of it social. The majority culture has accepted pretty much every european immigrant group that it once excluded (Irish, Italian, Jewish, catholics, non prostestants). Its left alone others (Asians, sub continent Asians) even though it hasn't included it. Although there are some random occasions (Chinese, unofficial limits to jewish membership, etc.) Blacks in America are the only group that the federal and/or various state governments have legally and legislatively exlcuded. Once regarded as 3/5s a person, legally kept from use that any other group can use (water fountains, bathrooms, etc.). The cold hard truth is that, Blacks as a collective have never been accepted totally by the majority culture. Marrying an Italian, Irish, Jew, catholic was unthinkable a 150 years ago but is acceptable now. Its never been acceptable other than in rare occasions (celebrity status) to marry a Black person and I doubt ever will be. Its just something that every Black in America knows inately. An Asian, Indian, Latina woman can be accepted, not wilingly but can be in a suburban neighborhood but a Black women almost always isn't. There are exceptions but generally speaking. Even marrying a latino, Indian, Asian man is more acceptable than a Black male. We can cite some marriages but if we're honest its generallly not acceptable. The person would need to be a celebrity for people to openly accept it. if he is a doctor or lawyer, there is still some reticence, major reticence. Its just one of those things thats ingrained in America. It is what it is. Its something that all Blacks know instinctively. It was never mentioned in my home but once I got of age, I understood the way the world works.

As you all know I'm a soccer (football) fan. I spent lot time at British bars iin Amerca watching the sport, not only in LA but when I traveled on business I would almost always find a pub that showed games. The bars included all football fans. Mostly British but also your occasional French, Spaniard, German, all Europeans because it was the only place to watch football. I recall a Britsh guy, who grew up in south London, had friends who were Indian, Pakistani, Black (jamaicans, africans) etc. and he said he thought England had a fair amount of racism but he was shocked at how much was in America in private conversation with many Whites. He had a Black girlfriend in England and he never mentioned her race because it wasn't an issue. She came for a visit and people were shocked. Many europeans on my travels have told me it was made apparant to them either through subtle means or even overtly to avoid associating with American blacks when they lived there. There are social cues that pretty much every group, ironcally enough, even native Africans and black West Indians to avoid American blacks. Its just not socially acceptble to be too tight with us. I've had the opportunity to travel to other countries, Europe included and the difference in how I am perceived is stark. American Blacks I've met in other countries have said the same. In Thailand, I'm an American, Black second. I am viewed more similar to a white American than I am to a native African. For the most part, the rest of the world views me as American first. In America, I'm Black first.

American blacks don't help our own cause. That's obvious. Too many issues, too much crime, too many issues with dysfunctional families.

Its not every one in the majority culture. Obama couldn't get elected were it a majority. Its not but there are enough that makes it an issue that will be permanent from what i can see.

I think the media has a huge role in how things are portrayed. People who have never lived in the inner city have a view that its the wild wild west. it isn't. A small percentage of young Black men do the most crime. If even half were involved it would be total anarchy. The overwhelming majority of guys I knew in my area didn't commit crimes. It was a small group and its that way in all neighborhoods. Even in Compton in gang areas, such as south Central. The vast majority of young black boys are not in a gang. i think the number of crips at its height was said to be 60,000 which sounds like a crazy figure and it is, that's a lot of people and that includes young and old. The gangs have been around since the '70s and so there are lifetime members who are 40 and 50 years old. Anyway, look at the total population of Black males say, 14 to 40 in south central LA. Hundreds of thousands. And this is in possibly the most gang populated region in America. At its height it was stil a fairly small percentage of the total male population. Cities that get the 'murder capital' title typically have no more than 400 murders in a calendar year. Too many but in the larger context, its 400 murders, even in Chicago, in a city with hundreds if not a million or so Blacks. Its a small hard core group but we all get painted with the same brush.

I once saw a FB post that had a picture of the Holocaust and the caption said 'Never Forget!', then a picture of the World Trade Center towers burning and the caption said 'Never Forget!' then a picture of a slave in chains and the caption said 'Get Over It'. Many Blacks feel its selective. I do agree we shouldn't be drudging up slavery or Jim Crow at every turn. It happens too much with some Blacks but it does get minimized as well.

I think Obama's presidency scared a lot of Whites, especially White males. I actually think there is an unsaid fear that the party is over, me and my kids are not going have the same access, priveleges as before. More than any other group in America I think that the emergence of any sustainble measure of American blacks is feared the most either because the fear is Blacks will seek some revenge for the past and/or Whites will lose a lot of power to the more than 40 million Blacks. First, the goal of Blacks in America for 300 years was a need to be accepted even if it means to sell out our own. It has happened. Most budding slave revolts ended before it started because one of the slaves, usually the house slaves told the owner. But the Black need to be accepted is pathological. Despite what you see on tv.

Obama hasn't done some things but dividing America racially isn't something he has done. His being Black was the divisive issue. He is a symbol of the possible future and it elicits fear amongst some.

I thnk the Zimmerman support is all part of this. I live outside the U.S. now and I see America from the outside in. I think It gave me a lot of clarity not only on America as a whole but specific groups within, including Black America.

Its said "what about the deaths in Chicago and across the nation. Why no uproar about that?" The fact is anyone in 'black' Chicago have seen numerous local activists in action and a lot has been done locally to squash it but it doesn't make the news. In my hometown of Philly which was close to being the murder capital last year, I know for a fact there were lots of comunity action. It doesn't make the news and sadly, often doesn't even make local news and if so, a few seconds at the end of the broadcast. LA crips and bloods have dropped considerably. The reason was the effort of local activists, former NFL star Jim Brown prominant amongst them, that got a historic peace treaty years ago that barely got a mention in the LA Times and local tv.

The media, either consciously or whatever chooses black america spokespeople. They chose Jackson and Sharpton. I've said a few times that Sharpton was thought of as a buffoon amongst Blacks but he got on the cameras when the media wanted a voice. How did they come to ask him? I have no idea. Barkley is not respected in the Black community because its believed he says things to be accepetd. One of the resaons why Black conservatives are not liked in the Black community is because its believed that for them to be accepted by whites, they have to speak badly about the Black community as a whole. To be honest, i see some merit in that. Powell is about the only Republican that doesn't. Alan West, Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, all have made a career out of it. There are people you all have never heard of but are well respected in the black community but will never be invited to Meet The Press or MSNBC or Fox.

Finally, I am not optimistic. There are some sytemic and endemic issues among Blacks that are solveable but the same obstacles that negate Congress and state governments from bringing true change also inhibit Black america as well.

• Like 1

I've always felt that only two minorities really deserved affirmative action - "Native Americans" and African Americans. The Indians lost about 95% of the country and many ended up on reservations. Black Americans are almost the only "unwilling" American group, brought here to labour without any option to say no. Black Americans also were subjected to a century of legal discrimination even after the end of slavery, and American Indians also came in for a share of it. I think some of the resentment among white Americans is because so many other groups have climbed on the affirmative action bandwagon. They see it as "everybody but me".

As to white fears in America, I'd say much is due to the realisation that white Americans may soon become a minority themselves. That creates all sorts of worries about the unknown future.