Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Unfortunately, I do not trust Obama to stay away from Iran either. Washington seems to be quite eager to have a go at Ahmedgingerbread. There would be far fewer wars if the CIC actually had to lead the troops into battle.

p.s. In case anyone doesn't remember that far back, I opposed the invasion of Iraq. Sadam was bad, but he wasn't any threat to the US or UK.

There is a big difference between being "the boss" and being in the armed forces. (As it happens, Truman was a combat veteran of WWI, but that is irrelevant to his being the boss.) Fortunately we have civilian control in our countries. It is civilian politicians who send the military off to die.

Are you going to tell me that Tony Blair is a military veteran because he sent the troops to Iraq and Afghanistan? After all, he was the boss

I suppose Maggie Thatcher must be a military veteran too. :hmmm:

British PMs do not have the same powers as a US President...their cabinet jointly make decisions. The Queen is UK Commander-in-Chief..she, her husband, her sons, her grandsons have all served in the armed forces too..unlike Mitt Romney, when he had his chance!

:beer:

British PMs do not have the same powers as a US President...their cabinet jointly make decisions.

:beer:

Then why do I always hear the Brits blaming Tony Blair for the war? Sounds like he had company in making that decision.

The US invasion of Iraq was actually approved by a joint resolution passed by both Houses of Congress. It wasn't just Dick Cheney and GWB who did it. The Democrats in the Senate voted 29-21 for war. The Dems in the House split 82-126 against it, but enough voted for it to ensure that it passed.

Romney couldn't go to war either, without Congressional backing.

Right now the Dems control one house, the Reps the other.

Let me guess...

Because that's not a title?

Commander in Chief

It astounds me how little you know. Our school system has certainly failed you. You need to demand an education!!!

The

Commander in Chief of North America

was a titled bestowed upon British officers who were in charge

of the British military forces

in North America (which INCLUDED the original 13 colonies).

As I have already said, this title is rarely if ever taught in USA schools.

Unfortunately, I do not trust Obama to stay away from Iran either. Washington seems to be quite eager to have a go at Ahmedgingerbread. There would be far fewer wars if the CIC actually had to lead the troops into battle.

p.s. In case anyone doesn't remember that far back, I opposed the invasion of Iraq. Sadam was bad, but he wasn't any threat to the US or UK.

I opposed going to Iraq.

Even today I ask people if they had the money

would they want to buy a pound of yellow cake uranium.

Most people would be willing to spend $1000

if they had the money for a pound of yellow cake.

Then I tell them the last I knew, yellow cake uranium

was going for about $5.00 a pound!

Then they realized they were duped!

MILITARY & VETERANS

• Ordered the Pentagon to cover expenses of families of fallen soldiers if they wish to be on site when the body arrives back in the US (2009)

• Ended the Bush-era “blackout†imposed on media coverage of the return of fallen US soldiers (2009) * Note: The media is now permitted to cover the story pending adherence to respectful rules and with the approval of the fallen soldier’s family

• Ended the Bush-era “black out†policy on media coverage of war casualties (2009) * Note: Full information is now released for the first time in the War on Terror

• Ordered better body armor to be procured for US troops (2009)

• Funding new Mine Resistant Ambush Vehicles (2009) * Note: The old Hummers were very vulnerable to roadside explosives and an alarming percentage of our soldiers lost in Iraq were on account of IEDs

• Working to increase pay and benefits for military personnel (2009)

• Improving housing for military personnel (2009)

• Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses (2009)

• Ordered that conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other neglected military hospitals be improved (2009)

• Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military to a post-Cold War, modern fighting force (2009) * Note: Bush announced in 2001 his intention to do this but backed off the reforms after 9/11, which include: new procurement policies; increasing the size of Special Ops units; deploying new technologies; creating new cyber security units; etc.

• Ended the Bush-era practice of awarding “no-bid†defense contracts (2009)

• Improving benefits for veterans as well as VA staffing, information systems, etc. (2009)

• Authorized construction of additional health centers to care for veterans (2009)

• Suspended the Bush-era decision to purchase a fleet of Marine One helicopters from suppliers in favor of American made helicopters (2009)

• Ordered a review of the existing “Don’t ask, don’t tell†policy on gays in the military (2010)

• New GI Bill for returning veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan (2009)

• Signed bill providing assistance for caregivers of veterans wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan (2010) * Note: The omnibus bill does the following: Training, funding, and counseling for caregivers; promoting pilot childcare programs for women vets under treatment at the VA; independent oversight to prevent abuse; readjustment counseling for National Guard and reservist units; etc.

• Eliminated co-payments for veterans who are catastrophically disabled (2010)

• Fulfilled campaign promise to have combat troops (90,000) out of Iraq by August 31, 2010 (2010)

• Established a new interagency task force to assist veterans owning small businesses (2010) * Note: The efforts include promoting federal contract opportunities, improve access to loans and capital, mentor assistance programs, etc.

• Signed The Families of Fallen Heroes Act, which covers the moving costs of immediate family members of those lost in service (military, intelligence, and security personnel) (2010)

LINK

Enough said.

Great speeches by Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama.

I thought I posted this but guess it didn't take but there was no war when Obama was of military age. He was chasing the American dream and no one in America expects someone to join the military when they are pursuing a college degree and working on a career.

Bush, Cheney, Romney and Clinton all avoided the military in a time of conflict and hence the difference. It was an unpopular war so there is some understanding regarding not going. However, the former two promoted their own unpopular war and hence the hypocracy. It was okay for them to send people to die in an unpopular war. A war they had to lie to the American people about to go along. That is what is so insiduous. Romney is also making war noises with regards to Iran. He has taken a much harder view of foreign policy. Obama to his credit has shown far more reluctance to send troops such as the Arab spring.

The Republican party in its present form is odious. Its just too far right. They punish any member who actually wants to work with Democrats to solve problems. Many of its members take a zero tolerance policy on negotiation at all. Its their way or the highway and its impossible to run a government like that. Any meaningful piece of legislation than anyone here likes these days would never have gotten approved with the present climate.

Religious views are being legislated. I also object to the term of what is or who is American. If you hold a little blue passport with the United States of America on it you're an American. We are diverse culturally, regionally, etc. The people of Permian, Texas and the people of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn are in some ways as different from each other as they are to an Englishman. A far right Republican and a far left Democrat are Americans despite having totally different views on what to do about America.

Finally, I am apalled at the level of lack of respect for the office of the President. I'm not talking about the average every day citizen or even minor politicians such as a small town mayor. Those folks have always been that way on both sides since the '60s with the flower children. I'm talking Congressmen, Governors, people who should know better. I read an article about it. The governor with her finger pointing, the Congressman with his yelling 'liar' at the state of the union where I read it was supposed to be group of them doing it and the others chickened out. WTF?!

There are certain customary, unwritten privleges the President has I read in such an article. Presidents have yelled at and screamed at Congressmen and Governors on occasion. You sit there and take it. Usually your own party but sometimes the opposition party. Johnson was infamous for it. Nixon would do it. Years ago, FDR and Truman would do it. Its not done often but it is done. Whenever the President's secretary calls you drop everything, personal calls, meetings, etc. to take the call this article said. However, this article said that for the first time ever Republican congressman would sometimes not take the call and have their assisstants say they are busy and they will call him back. The yelling of liar, the governor with her finger pointing in his face. Military personnel doing the same. Its never been done before to any President, even the worse.

This blatant disrespect is unsettling. One has to ask why only Obama?

Not a good list at all. A good few of those are not true by several years.

MILITARY & VETERANS

• Ordered the Pentagon to cover expenses of families of fallen soldiers if they wish to be on site when the body arrives back in the US (2009)

• Ended the Bush-era “blackout†imposed on media coverage of the return of fallen US soldiers (2009) * Note: The media is now permitted to cover the story pending adherence to respectful rules and with the approval of the fallen soldier’s family

• Ended the Bush-era “black out†policy on media coverage of war casualties (2009) * Note: Full information is now released for the first time in the War on Terror

• Ordered better body armor to be procured for US troops (2009)

• Funding new Mine Resistant Ambush Vehicles (2009) * Note: The old Hummers were very vulnerable to roadside explosives and an alarming percentage of our soldiers lost in Iraq were on account of IEDs

• Working to increase pay and benefits for military personnel (2009)

• Improving housing for military personnel (2009)

• Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses (2009)

• Ordered that conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other neglected military hospitals be improved (2009)

• Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military to a post-Cold War, modern fighting force (2009) * Note: Bush announced in 2001 his intention to do this but backed off the reforms after 9/11, which include: new procurement policies; increasing the size of Special Ops units; deploying new technologies; creating new cyber security units; etc.

• Ended the Bush-era practice of awarding “no-bid†defense contracts (2009)

• Improving benefits for veterans as well as VA staffing, information systems, etc. (2009)

• Authorized construction of additional health centers to care for veterans (2009)

• Suspended the Bush-era decision to purchase a fleet of Marine One helicopters from suppliers in favor of American made helicopters (2009)

• Ordered a review of the existing “Don’t ask, don’t tell†policy on gays in the military (2010)

• New GI Bill for returning veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan (2009)

• Signed bill providing assistance for caregivers of veterans wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan (2010) * Note: The omnibus bill does the following: Training, funding, and counseling for caregivers; promoting pilot childcare programs for women vets under treatment at the VA; independent oversight to prevent abuse; readjustment counseling for National Guard and reservist units; etc.

• Eliminated co-payments for veterans who are catastrophically disabled (2010)

• Fulfilled campaign promise to have combat troops (90,000) out of Iraq by August 31, 2010 (2010)

• Established a new interagency task force to assist veterans owning small businesses (2010) * Note: The efforts include promoting federal contract opportunities, improve access to loans and capital, mentor assistance programs, etc.

• Signed The Families of Fallen Heroes Act, which covers the moving costs of immediate family members of those lost in service (military, intelligence, and security personnel) (2010)

LINK

Enough said.

This blatant disrespect is unsettling. One has to ask why only Obama?

Some of it is racism.

Some of it comes from folks who are ignorant. Not enough people read the newspapers, watch regular TV news, or read books.

Some of it comes from the advent of the internet. Blogs now. People tend to read and listen to what they already believe.

Some comes from the likes of the Koch Brothers and the groups that they fund. They and others espouse hate but in ever so subtle ways. But foremost in these folks eyes is the obtaining and the keeping of wealth at any cost.

Money has a lot to do with all. The tax codes have changed incrementally in the last 20 years making some very wealthy. Extreme wealth. And some of those will do anything to keep that wealth while alive.

Rupurt Murdoch and his empire including Fox News has some to do with this class warfare. Roger Ailes has been a master of this. "News" shows that are all basically scripted opinions. Fox News has brainwashed so many in that all other news is "liberal". The "main stream media" is droned over and over again as bad. The "main stream media" is somehow controlled by liberals. As if the Board of Directors of GE, Viacom, and Time Warner are somehow liberal.

Then there is the social compact. What responsibility do we have for the care of others? What is society's responsibilty to take care of the elderly, the sick, the disabled, the poor, and veterans? What responsibility does government have to provide clean water and clean air? What responsibity does government have for the safety and security of its citizens?

Over and over again one hears from Fox News and the likes of Rush Limbaugh and his minions that "we" must take back our government. As if someone has stolen it. Day in and day out.