Stupid questions about LOS

cavanami

I took a "Scenic" photo book of NZ to show the Surin relatives last trip, none of whom had seen Snow, Ocean, Volcanoes, Blue Rivers, etc.

The kids were in awe, that I'd actually been to these places.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And... I think when I look back in my dim and distant past, I remember reading an article in the Bangkok Post (or maybe The Nation) when one of their US-based journos asked 150 random Americans to point to Thailand on a map of the world and only about 10% could do it.

Yep. University education (in US) isn't horrible, but the secondary is. Put me in front of a world map as a teen without countries clearly labeled and I would NOT have been able to pick out Thailand (or probably anything other than Italy, Russia, Canada, Mexico, most of the UK). And I was one of the smart ones. :)

Of course, I can't forget the question from our young Aussie intern as several of us were commuting between sites last week: 'what's the distance between these mile markers on the freeway?' :beer:

Ps. Waerth, I had heard they have Tuks Tuks in The Hague and Rotterdam now. Didn't know how widespread it was. Pretty cool (I think).

I am actually getting these questions from Thais a lot.

Do they have rice in Holland

Can they eat chicken in Holland

Do they have tea in Holland

etc etc etc ....

Everytime I try to explain to them we have a couple of hundred thousand Indonesians there and almost every village has a chinese/indonesian restaurant they dont believe it. Also trying to explain to them that the average Dutch person probably eats rice once a week sounds unbelievable to them.

So on one trip to Holland I shot pictures of people in Dutch streets with many Asians, Africans etc in them. A picture with Tuk Tuks in The Hague. Pictures in supermarkets of the many different kinds of rice and the oriental spices section. And off course of Thai restaurants.

Then they started asking ..... why do you allow all the foreigners, why do you eat rice etc .....

Stupidity rules on this planet amongst 80-90% of humanity unfortunately.

W

Why do Dutch people still wear wooden shoes?

The famous story is about the guy in LA years ago who was flying to Oakland. Since that's about a 40 minute flight, he finally asked why it was taking so long and why they were over so much water. The hostess told him he was on a flight to Auckland! He got off in Hawaii and they stuck him on a plane back to California. :banghead:

I'll admit an act of stupidity one time.

My first time in Germany, and driving around in the hire car I said to my then gf:

"Wow - there's a lot of signs pointing off the auto-bahn to this town or city called AUSFAHRT. Must be a big place, but I've never heard of it."

Turns out that AUSFAHRT is German for "EXIT".

Whoops.

:doah:

I am actually getting these questions from Thais a lot.

Do they have rice in Holland

Can they eat chicken in Holland

Do they have tea in Holland

etc etc etc ....

Everytime I try to explain to them we have a couple of hundred thousand Indonesians there and almost every village has a chinese/indonesian restaurant they dont believe it. Also trying to explain to them that the average Dutch person probably eats rice once a week sounds unbelievable to them.

So on one trip to Holland I shot pictures of people in Dutch streets with many Asians' date=' Africans etc in them. A picture with Tuk Tuks in The Hague. Pictures in supermarkets of the many different kinds of rice and the oriental spices section. And off course of Thai restaurants.

Then they started asking ..... why do you allow all the foreigners, why do you eat rice etc .....

Stupidity rules on this planet amongst 80-90% of humanity unfortunately.

W[/quote']

Why do Dutch people still wear wooden shoes?

So we can kick people's butt more effectively :p

Archived