Visa Docs - Criminal Record - How Clean?

Coss

The time has come to apply for my Thai Non-Immigrant O-A Visa (Retired) visa.

I've got all the documents that are required.

I have a question or two for those who may know.

Regarding the Criminal Record - I have historical drink drive convictions (criminal in NZ) should I be worried that the Thai Embassy may reject my application because of these?.

Regarding the proof of Income, my bank has stamped the print out as "valid at the time this is dated", no concerns?

And lastly should I include MyWiMee's birth certificate, Thai house registration and our marriage certificate (NZ) ? even though these are not required.

Any and all comment welcome.

Yours in abject gratefulness,

Coss

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea about DUI. Doesn't seem like it should make you a "dangerous criminal". Maybe some legal beagle could advise.

As to "valid at the time it is dated", there isn't much you can do about that. What Immigration at Jaengwattana does at renewal time is have you go downstairs to a bank and make a withdrawal (say 100 baht), with your bank book then showing how much you have in the bank that day (400,000 required for marriage and 800,000 for retirement). You can hardly do that in Middle Earth. Also, there is a retirement option of showing you have at least 60,000 baht (or whatever) income every month. You don't have to tie up 800,000 in an account, which is a pretty good hunk of money to put on ice.

In the UK, most convictions are "spent" after a period of time. Even short term jail can be spent after some years. Life for murder however is never spent. So some DUI conviction from long ago should be ok and to be honest, I wouldn't highlight it as doing so only asks questions and if it ever was an issue, I'd argue it was spent, if indeed it was. If it was last week then there may be a problem.

However, the UK looks at crimes committed in Thailand and assesses what the punishment would have been in the UK. Thus, someone which attracts a menial sentence in Thailand but which carried a 2 year jail sentence in the UK could stop a UK visa application in its tracks. Using that logic in reverse, a DUI in LOS would have what outcome if it went to court ? I would certainly look to investigate that point.

My bank statements all say valid as at ... on them. How can they say anything else ? What seems to be ok is for that date to be recent, perhaps within a month, though I never left it longer than a week. I think a quick call to your immigration office should suffice. They can all interpret things differently as you know. I might also raise the issue of the DUI charge as well and ask them without revealing your identity.

I always take more documentation than is required. Sod's Law says they will want it if I don't have it. However you are not applying on the basis of child support or marriage and thus these documents should not be required. You will need to prove where you live though, so paperwork there will be needed.

I would say don’t get the O-A, just get a plain “O†that will give you 90 days permission to stay. Once you are here put the 800k in bank and in the last 30 days of your 90 days go to Immigration and get the year extension, along with a multi-re-entry permit.

No police report required.

TH

I would say don’t get the O-A, just get a plain “O†that will give you 90 days permission to stay. Once you are here put the 800k in bank and in the last 30 days of your 90 days go to Immigration and get the year extension, along with a multi-re-entry permit.

No police report required.

TH

Sorry, I completely mistook it for an in country application rather than one from abroad.

I understand you can / could even get a tourist stamp converted in Pattaya but for sure, get a non immigrant visa and then do the business down the immigration office.

Archived