Are Gtgs In Bkk 'naive' ?

gobbledonk

OK - I stand corrected. I dont have the current figures on HIV infection, but I seem to recall that Thailand was high on the list, but that's just a Farang thing, right ? :banghead:

I loathe many of the 'initiatives' lumped on us by the nanny state, but its hard to argue against the safe sex message that was pummeled into us in the 80s - it saved lives.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that the AIDS etc thing is not understood at a certain level, witness the various programmes, Meechai's efforts etc but this is after all Thailand we are talking about, sex is for adults, not for kids in school. School is to shape young minds, show how good it is to conform, all wear the same uniform, all stand in a straight line, all sing the same song, all get the same grades and all become the same Thai citizen who will obey, look at what they are told to look at and say what they are told to say, not forgetting of course to think what they are told to think and believe what they are told to believe. This is Thainess and it's pretty evident everywhere. No room for dirty sex education in such a grand plan.

It's not that the AIDS etc thing is not understood at a certain level, witness the various programmes, Meechai's efforts etc but this is after all Thailand we are talking about, sex is for adults, not for kids in school. School is to shape young minds, show how good it is to conform, all wear the same uniform, all stand in a straight line, all sing the same song, all get the same grades and all become the same Thai citizen who will obey, look at what they are told to look at and say what they are told to say, not forgetting of course to think what they are told to think and believe what they are told to believe. This is Thainess and it's pretty evident everywhere. No room for dirty sex education in such a grand plan.

Orwell would have been saddened to see his bleak vision of the future realised in a country which is, at least nominally, a democracy. That said, we've had a recent taste of what can happen when enough Thais decide they no longer want to drink the Kool-Aid a particular flavour of Kool-Aid, and it looked pretty scary from my safe Farang home.

One thing too --> I'm sure the whole deception and manipulation thing works both ways. And I'd be willing to bet my entire life savings that there quite a few women playing the role of kitten that needs to be rescued and stringing out naive Farang dudes, trying to get what they can from them. Ohhhhhh, yeah.

Hi,

Oh yes! While there are plenty of guys 'preying' on naive girls, there are probably just as many girls 'preying' on naive guys. Many of my wifes students are stringing along several guys, all of whom think they are the only one.

Sanuk!

Again, that's another stereotype that Stick trots out regularly and I have problems accepting. I'm not saying that it doesnt happen, but there are *so many* Thai-centric boards out there now warning Farang of 'what lies beneath the surface' that it beggars belief. Still, I guess if you want to believe something badly enough, those big brown eyes can be awfully persuasive, particularly when they fill with tears the instant you suggest she should go out and get a Gik once in a while to relieve all that 'tension'. :clown:

Would we be more susceptible if it was a 'good' girl instead of some tart from Soi 6 in Pattaya ? Possibly, but I still hear that Irish bar owner from Udon every time I look at a profile on TLL - 'Mate, you just have to accept that they will lie to you - its their nature'.

Gobble, always working on an exit strategy

Hmm! Nominally a democracy heh! I guess that might be written or spoken in a few places but I've never seen it that way. Sounds like if I say something often enough you'll believe it. Somehow I doubt that.

When was the last time the military turfed out a government in the West ? I don't know any other country where the (natural) death of one man could start a civil war within days - not even in Putin's Russia. Probably a discussion for another time and place, so I'll leave it there.

Again, that's another stereotype that Stick trots out regularly and I have problems accepting. I'm not saying that it doesnt happen, but there are *so many* Thai-centric boards out there now warning Farang of 'what lies beneath the surface' that it beggars belief.

Alright sir, it looks like you're looking for some sort of validation that you can find genuine 'good girls' and decent guys online and the negative stories are uncommon exceptions.

I think people were saying that the negative stories were legit. Not that they're every single case or even the norm. What % is utter bullshit and what % is truth from these folks on sites like TLL -- hell if I know.

So I propose this --> you do some research in the field and report back with findings. :)

Probably get some adventure out of it. Just exercise a little caution. :beer:

A few years ago, I was startled to see one of my students on a dating site. She was one of the most innocent, naive girls of her age I have ever met - probably had never even been on a date. I asked her if she knew what she was doing and the kind of guys she was likely to attract. She replied that her aunt got a Farang husband from a dating site and she thought she would try too. She was a cute little thing ... hope she got lucky. :p

There are some like that out there - and probably easy prey for the scumbags. :(

Archived