Europe

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://news.yahoo.com/greece-deal-fails-convince-eu-demands-more-000157119.html

Greeks strike against austerity, EU demands more cuts

I saw this article and it relates to this thread I started a while back. I don't blame the Greeks for not trusting the government that got them into the mess in the first place. On the other hand I get the feeling that a lot of them are a bit spoilt and no matter what, they won't adjust their current benefits that they've enjoyed for some time.

Something has to give. I don't think the people have a choice frankly or they will implode. Perhaps they do think they have leverage. If they implode is it possible that they take other countries with them to clean up a lot of the mess? They are part of the EU and its a collective to some degree, right?

What are your opinions with regards to Greece?

Guest lazyphil

i'm happy we're not in the euro, but not smug because it could bring us down with it if the experiment fails.....get ya white lab coats on everyone and your protective goggles on :elephant:

http://news.yahoo.co...-000157119.html

Greeks strike against austerity, EU demands more cuts

I saw this article and it relates to this thread I started a while back. I don't blame the Greeks for not trusting the government that got them into the mess in the first place. On the other hand I get the feeling that a lot of them are a bit spoilt and no matter what, they won't adjust their current benefits that they've enjoyed for some time.

Something has to give. I don't think the people have a choice frankly or they will implode. Perhaps they do think they have leverage. If they implode is it possible that they take other countries with them to clean up a lot of the mess? They are part of the EU and its a collective to some degree, right?

What are your opinions with regards to Greece?

In the next weeks we will see if Greek is going bankrupt and will be forced to leave the EU, or if it will survive with strong financial support by the EU (and especially by German tax payers).

The EU is totally fed up with the lies and empty promises of the Greek government. For example, last summer Greece said, that they will be able to recover around 50 Billion EUR in unpaid taxes, now we learnt that this number is completely fictional, or Greece promised to cut 3.000 governmental jobs (while they need to cut several hundred thousand jobs), but they were unable to fire the promised the extremely small number of 3.000 workers. Now they promise to cut 15.000 jobs in 2012 and 150.000 jobs until 2020....

It is clear that the Greek economy is imploding. This might cause huge eruptions in the Greek society. And the austerity measures demanded by the EU is making the situation even worse.

On the other hand, Greece had lost any good will, by cheating the EU since they entered the EU. Since decades every statistic about their economy the Greek submitted to the EU was fake.

Now it is the first tim in the history of the EU, that the EU is not looking for a false and poisoned compromise, but for real, accountable action.

And since 2-3 weeks the first high-ranking EU officials are talking about a possible bankruptcy of Greece. This had been a nono until December.

No one really knows what happens to the EU if Greece goes bankrupt, but on the other hand we all fear, that if the EU is keeping Greece afloat it will become a bottomless pit...

Anyway, the decision, if the EU will keep on supporting Greece (it will be more than 100 Billion EU) has to be made in the next two weeks. Without EU money Greece will go bankrupt in March.

Beware of Greeks bearing debt. Sorry, had to do it. It was such an inviting pun. If I were the EU I'd let Greece go at it alone. Any organization such as EU MUST be made of trust. If the Greeks can not be honest now, they will get bailed out and can't be trusted to be honest in the future. You get the government you deserve and the Greeks have elected people that aren't trustworthy (America is no so dissimilar). The only possible way were I to loan money if I were the EU is to have my own people in the Greek government looking over the books and being able to observe all financial dealings. Turkey must be snikcering to themselves.

Given Kamui's info, I'd let them rot.

So, a possible conclusion is that the Greek legislature has no choice but to agree to the EU's demands and the people protest, even riot in opposition. If that scenario happens I wonder if the Greek government will be able to carry out the reforms and financial cutbacks as the people will be against it? If they can't then the EU may just hold their hands up in disgust and cut them loose?

Archived