Europe

Steve

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that the EU was trying to get assurances from both parties in the upcoming Greek elections that they would adhere to the agreed cuts if they got the money.

If so, did this happen? I can't see the people letting it happen. If they vote for someone or some party who either won't follow it or threatened with being ousted if they do, then it can only spell doom and gloom for Greece.

I am still a bit surprised at many of the groups protesting not to accept it. They either don't believe the politicians or don't care. Not sure which one frankly.

This whole scenario is amazing. The American people didn't want the bailouts and the money to be sent to the banks, etc, but didn't see much choice for the most part. Different situation though, we could still meet our debt obligations (payments). Greece can't.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that the EU was trying to get assurances from both parties in the upcoming Greek elections that they would adhere to the agreed cuts if they got the money.

If so, did this happen? I can't see the people letting it happen. If they vote for someone or some party who either won't follow it or threatened with being ousted if they do, then it can only spell doom and gloom for Greece.

I am still a bit surprised at many of the groups protesting not to accept it. They either don't believe the politicians or don't care. Not sure which one frankly.

This whole scenario is amazing. The American people didn't want the bailouts and the money to be sent to the banks, etc, but didn't see much choice for the most part. Different situation though, we could still meet our debt obligations (payments). Greece can't.

Yep, the EU asked for written statements by Greek party leaders, that they won't reverse the cut plans.

Anyway, a leading German economist said today, that Greek can't be saved with the 130 Billion EUR bailout money. His reason: The money will go mostly for to repay foreign banks and fonds and will not be used to rebuild the economy. That's why there is strong push by the financial market to give the bailout money to Greece.

His proposal: the money should be used to nationalize Greek banks for to keep them afloat when Greece goes bankrupt and has to leave the EUR zone. The would stabilize Greece in a period of total chaos, which nevertheless would lead the way to recovery.

The problem for Greece at the moment: everything in 30% too expensive. But the inevitable crash would push all prices down and Greek would be able to compete again with Turkey and other countries again. Export would increase and the tourists would return...

The bailout money will be paid, the EU has decided to for it (if not officially).

It seems that the worst is still to come.

the greeks are super pissed off at the germans i've been watching/reading :surprised:

Of course, it is easier to blame others for the self produced mess - all Greeks are responsible for the mess, since the fought against any change with all means.

Anyway, the German et al. leadership don't care what the Greek say. Cheaters and liars can't expect much sympathy. And they receive our money...

Guest lazyphil

Of course, it is easier to blame others for the self produced mess - all Greeks are responsible for the mess, since the fought against any change with all means.

Anyway, the German et al. leadership don't care what the Greek say. Cheaters and liars can't expect much sympathy. And they receive our money...

:grouphug::rip::tuxedo:

the greeks are super pissed off at the germans i've been watching/reading :surprised:

Because the Germans don't want to foot the bill for their own cock ups? They should be kissing the Germans asses instead of being angry at it.

Hmm...if I had the money, I'd buy some of the best properties in the heaviest tourist areas on the cheap in Greece. Its still a hot tourist destination. Would that be a good idea as long term investment or is it one of those hairbrained ideas that has haunted me my whole life?

Archived