Arrivederci Dubai, What Next?

Get yerself to SEA and go all bananas over some local girl. Take your retirement now.

You can pass a lot of time doing that, and contrary to my 'MLG' posts, it's a lot of fun.

I'm sure what you are doing is good fun and does appeal to me (apart from the MLG bit) but I could do with a bit more in the retirement kitty before I go down that or any other route.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of hot spots you are talking about? Some, where the money is like Nigeria, seem to be overly hot...

Africa is home to the fastest growing economies in the world today.

All the smart investors are there.

It's not Dafur or Nigeria scams.

It's Asia 20/30 years ago when people in hindsight said "I wish I had invested then".

I won't bother discussing inane comments, but people in serious industries know that parent companies have invested and continue to do so and look at the continent.

West Africa in particular is doing well, Kenya is the only country that investment is paused, currently people are waiting on for an election, once that is over, investments will start moving again into that country.

East Africa, Ghana leads the growth, Nigeria while on a personal level is very dangerous, has good investment potential if your careful and big enough to protect yourself. Obviously that's big Multinationals that have government backing.

People I know are even investing into Somalia and Sudan successfully, they are first in, and picking markets in high demand. I am working with them on those projects.

The cities are not all slums but look a lot like any other cities, with emerging high rise, but of course with slums that look like any other slum in Asia.

The Chinese are making a killing, as are some other nationalities, Asian and European, countries and investors that haven't got "Ethiopian Starvation Blinkers" on like the USA has, when it comes to investing in Africa. Some Australian mining companies have done very well.

But you really need to know what your doing as well. And be cautious as you would anywhere in an international deal, similar to what ThaiHome wrote somewhere else recently.

Case in point dealing with Rwanda, which has great international PR about investing in the country and how it's a great growth country, and it IS!

But if you deal with the government, you need to make sure you stick to the exact letter of the contracts, any deviation, and you could loose everything as major companies have discovered the hard way. As it should be :)

Africa is home to the fastest growing economies in the world today.

All the smart investors are there.

It's not Dafur or Nigeria scams.

It's Asia 20/30 years ago when people in hindsight said "I wish I had invested then".

Thanks for the info. It just shows my ignorance in most matters regarding Africa. And I guess the international media paint a much darker picture of Africa, than the situation actually is...

• 4 weeks later...
arriving 5 June and departing 4 July. happy0167.gif

we missed each other in Dubai last year and while we will be in BKK at the same time,again no good.

i arrive in BKK June 8th and fly out again 3 hours later....

i get to BKK around 10pm so will raise a glass to you before i fly out just to wish you luck on you new adventure..... :beer:

Archived