How Good Is Yingluck's English ?

gobbledonk

Yingluck is in Canberra ATM, and I noticed that she had an interpreter at her side when she met PM Julia Gillard. I know Gillard's Aussie accent is a little broader than Kevin Rudd's clipped and highly affected speaking style, but I thought Yingluck was western-educated ? Neither GWB nor Obama needed an interpreter, although the same cant be said for the Canberra Press Gallery when GWB was in town. I found that odd, as most journos speak fluent gibberish. :evilpumpkin:

Yingluck is in Canberra ATM, and I noticed that she had an interpreter at her side when she met PM Julia Gillard. I know Gillard's Aussie accent is a little broader than Kevin Rudd's clipped and highly affected speaking style, but I thought Yingluck was western-educated ? Neither GWB nor Obama needed an interpreter, although the same cant be said for the Canberra Press Gallery when GWB was in town. I found that odd, as most journos speak fluent gibberish. :evilpumpkin:

It's not the accent she has trouble with, it's the big words.

That makes sense, HT - the Thai Ambassador was on the other side of her when the introductions were done, and I expect that there are protocols associated with such official functions. What it must have been like stepping off the plane into Canberra's chilly embrace I can only imagine, but I guess trips to Europe would be worse.

BTW, if you lot dont send us a billion dollars, we'll send her back on Thursday. :evilpumpkin:

610511-gillard-thai-pm.jpg

One of these women has colleagues waiting in dark corridors with knives and evil intent. Which one looks happier to you ?

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is attending official functions with her Thai counterpart, Yingluck Shinawatra, as a battle rages over jobs and the loyalty of her MPs.

It's a welcome distraction for Ms Gillard as tension mounts over rumours of another Kevin Rudd challenge and the fallout of mining magnate Gina Rinehart's deal to import 1700 foreign workers.

According to the Nation, it has all been a raging success. Yingluck flies out of Canberra at 11pm tonight (AEST) and will be back in BKK when many of you stagger out of bed tomorrow AM (Wednesday). Bit tragic that she couldnt do a little sight-seeing in Sydney, chat to the faithful in Thainatown and buy an Akubra. Tough at the top, I guess. :grinyes:

I do have to ask just how many freakin' chooks get the chop each day in Thailand - cant believe there is enough left over for export.

Visit Wrapup

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday expressed her satisfaction with her official visit to Australia, as Canberra has agreed to consider lifting its ban on the importation of Thai chicken meat and frozen shrimp as requested, Thai News Agency online reported.

The Thai premier visited Australia from May 26 to 29 as a guest of the Australian government during the celebrations to mark the 60th anniversary of the two nations' establishing diplomatic relations.

She said that the overall trip could be considered as successful as the two premiers signed Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) on Cooperation in Education and Training and a Young Political Leaders' Exchange Programme to further strengthen ties between the two peoples.

Yingluck said during the discussion with her Australian counterpart Julia Gillard, the Australian prime minister agreed to consider lifting the ban on Thai chicken meat and frozen shrimp and would consider importing more rice from Thailand

Archived