Trojan Attack?

yfs

I received an email from a trusted friend. The message text said "this is really awesome..." and had a link. Well, I clicked on the link and several pages of a get rich quick scheme popped up. i close the window and went on with my day.

The next day I discovered that emails from my address book and inbox were sent, with the same link and message. Fortunately Yahoo only allows 20 messages to be sent at a time.

I checked my mailbox and noticed several emails were there that I never heard of. So I purged those. I logged out, then deleted my cookies and logged back in with a different browser and changed my password and security questions.

Do I need to do more?

I then warned all my friends in address book not to click on any link from me.

Do I need to do more?

I received an email from a trusted friend. The message text said "this is really awesome..." and had a link. Well, I clicked on the link and several pages of a get rich quick scheme popped up. i close the window and went on with my day.

The next day I discovered that emails from my address book and inbox were sent, with the same link and message. Fortunately Yahoo only allows 20 messages to be sent at a time.

I checked my mailbox and noticed several emails were there that I never heard of. So I purged those. I logged out, then deleted my cookies and logged back in with a different browser and changed my password and security questions.

Do I need to do more?

Do I need to do more?

Yes, you need to do more. Your PC is still infected. Install Microsoft Security Essentials and run it. It's free.

Also run a Microsoft update. Recently a lot of PC's got infected due to an buggy Flash player by just visiting an infected website.

If Microsoft Essentials can't find anything you might need a commercial anti-virus program.

Do I need to do more?

Do I need to do more?

Had something similar on one of our computers. I addition to whatever virus program you are using you could download the free version of Avast. Install it and choose the boot time scan that runs when you turn the machine on. Takes about 20 minutes to run.

What surprised me is that it caught all these java issues that AVG and MacAffee missed. The boot time scan caught these when running the regular Avast scan didn't.

Good luck.

Had something similar on one of our computers. I addition to whatever virus program you are using you could download the free version of Avast. Install it and choose the boot time scan that runs when you turn the machine on. Takes about 20 minutes to run.

What surprised me is that it caught all these java issues that AVG and MacAffee missed. The boot time scan caught these when running the regular Avast scan didn't.

Good luck.

I'm running a Mac OS 10.7.4. Installed Avast and it found infections in my Limewire folder (remember them?). A windows killer. Been there for a while. It was an exe file so it never caused any trouble.

Nothing related to my most recent issue.

Thanks for the recommendation on Avast.

I'm running a Mac OS 10.7.4. Installed Avast and it found infections in my Limewire folder (remember them?). A windows killer. Been there for a while. It was an exe file so it never caused any trouble.

Nothing related to my most recent issue.

Thanks for the recommendation on Avast.

Congratiolations! beer.gif

You caught the fist Mac virus which was able to infect a larger group of Apple computers around the world (ca. 500.000). All previous Mac viruses were mere "proof of concept" and didn't spread in the wild.

Just update your Mac software (klick on the Apple symbol/Update), this will delete the virus. Also you need to update your Flashplayer: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Archived