British Line Of Succession Change

Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahh..you are the expert. but was I right that there were always several dynasties in Germany. The emperors came from the preussian dynasty and others were reigning in other areas?

Germany was split in 4 kingdoms, Prussia, Bavaria, Saxonia and Wurttemberg. There were several Grand Duchies, Duchies, Principalities as well as free cities ruled by its citizens (like Cologne, which famously kicked its bishop once, before it was occupied by Prussia).

See a list here (German/Englsh): www.altearmee.de/deutsches_reich.htm

I think at its high time we had around 50 kingdoms/duchies...

Traveling and shipping of goods must have been a pain in the ass at that time, with so many borders. On the other hand, if you fell from favor in one kingdom/duchy the next border wasn't far away, like it happened frequently to intellectuals (poets, university professors, e.g.), especially when the ideas of the French revolution began to spread.... smirk.gif

The other surrounding nations were highly interested to keep it like that. They feared the power of a united German nation in the center of Europe. I guess they were right.

Salisbury Crags in Edinburgh? So presumably you were at school in Edinburgh. Does that make you a Scot?

Not really though my brother was born in Scotland I was born in Aussieland. I was there for a while as my dad a professional Expat, we was back there for a while doing what he did that took him around the globe, mostly Asia but also Europe, never USA, though he did South America without the family.

I did love the Salisbury Crags, and the park up behind it, for a "Aussie Kid" being in school there was too different and I itched for space, hence my often time running away, a habit I still have.

I lived on Lyon St over looking the Park, then it was a dump, a very rough area, now pretty posh.

The weather . . . . . . .

there is also no rue d'Edimbourg in Lyon...

Well you'd be right, going to a google map St Leonards, Lyon St was another city we lived in, I always thought it was a Street, but it's listed as "St Leonards Bank"

The school was at the end of the street, but it's gone too.

I remember there being a Bell's Factory nearby but that doesn't show either.

Archived