Obsessed With Pills

khunsanuk

Hi,

Why is it that so many Thais seem to be obsessed with taking pills, even when there is no real need for it?

Couple of examples.

I twisted my ankle last week, immediately put some ice on it, then taped it up. Next morning I checked with a friend of mine who is a medical doctor if there was anything else to do and whether or not the meds my wife had insisted I start taking were of any use. No, he said, pointless to take those. Told my wife, but of course "How can you get better if you don't take pills?"

Go to a doctor with any kind of illness and you WILL get a shit load of meds to take home. At one point I had a severe cold (which is viral of course) and the doctor gave me anti-biotics as part of the package :(

And then there are the supplements and vitamins. No idea if this is common, but my wife takes these very often, pretty much daily.

Just wondering where this all came from? The doctor giving a lot of meds I can understand as that is how they make their money (talk about professional ethics, eh? :( ), but why the obsession with "You can't get better without meds" and taking supplements?

Sanuk!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"The load of meds come form a doctor, so he must know what he's doing!"

Yeah, but another doctor (one who my wife knows personally and respects) said the opposite, i.e. no need for meds. He still got overruled by "You can't get better without meds" :)

Sanuk!

I know the feeling.

We are here in the states and my wife still thinks I need to take some form of Thai. meds.

I like you twisted my ankle about 3 weeks ago. Take Tyneol. sp?

I tell her no, does not hurt that much. She sits there and pouts..

Then the other week I was having trouble with my ear getting plugged up. I buy drops to clear it out.Here take tyneol again, no I say..You need to see doctor, have him give you pills. No I tell her nicely. These drops will work.

Gotta love em.

My sister in law works at clinic near the family house. The doctor and his wife are nice people, but he is allways issuing pills for every person that comes through the door.

Hi,

I like you twisted my ankle about 3 weeks ago. Take Tyneol. sp?

It wasn't even painkillers she was wanting me to take, but muscle relaxers.

Always look up the meds a Thai MD gives you on the internet.

For me it is a quick email to my doctor friend in Malaysia. I usually end up throwing away half.

Sanuk!

What type of education do the doctors receive? how visits a year will a doctor get from Big Pharma? How much influence does Big Pharma have on the medical schools and doctors?

Has the medical industry cured cancer? heart attacks? strokes? furthered healthy eating and living...IMO, hell NO!!!

A patient cured is a customer lost!!!

What type of education do the doctors receive? how visits a year will a doctor get from Big Pharma? How much influence does Big Pharma have on the medical schools and doctors?

Has the medical industry cured cancer? heart attacks? strokes? furthered healthy eating and living...IMO, hell NO!!!

A patient cured is a customer lost!!!

your logic is of course a contradiction! when the patient dies due to a disease, it is also a customer lost! If he is cured he can get this disease again or another and will be again customer!

So I do not think that the objective of the pharmaceutical industry is to avoid healing!

Archived