Central Scrutinizer

Well said :up:

In my view, on the one hand I can see the appeal of owning and playing with all sorts of weapons, and if I'm being law abiding, maybe I should be allowed to.

On the other hand people go berserk and criminals don't care and idiots think it's cool to shoot people.

Whilst there are many philosophical arguments against the death penalty, maybe a harsh approach to illegal use of weapons is called for.

And I'm not talking about justifiable self defence. Simple rule would be, you shoot someone, goodbye. If it is really justifiable self defence, then you get a couple of years inside, to ponder if you could have handled the situation differently. But if what you did was illegal, then goodbye.

There would be a hell of a lot less criminals toting guns around the place illegally, if they knew they'd be dead, if caught with them.

Still have a right to trial etc etc, but for gun crimes - guilty = mandatory death penalty no appeal.

Shoot em all.

Get Clint out of retirement.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan is to have everybody wanting to buy guns and ammo have to be checked out to see if they are a mental case or have a criminal record. Sounds fucking reasonable to me. Also: they want to restrict access to these assault rifles and the extended ammo magazines. No civilian needs these war weapons to hunt, or even for home protection. There's no need for them in the civilian population and the government wants to take them away and no longer allow them to be sold. Again, sounds fucking reasonable to me, and to any sane person I would imagine it would. The gun lobby tries to keep all these guns on the table for ownership. Why? Fucking profit, they do not care about the people killed, they just wants da money. Then there are all the little dicked nitwit, redneck, racist, KKK, neo nazis, white supremacists, religious fruitcakes, and just plain disturbed fuckwads, who get a hard on because they can have an assault weapon, pushing for no laws or restrictions on any sort of weapon. These morons would like to see every weapon available to the public for purchase. Stinger missile? Got one. Anti tank weapon? Yeah, sure. It's on the list. Etc. These people are nuts. Hell, as far as I am concerned anyone that wants to own these weapons of war, these man killers, is suspect and should be very closely scrutinized.

And, I am not anti gun. I have, or had until a few years ago when I sold them, a shotgun and a couple rifles. Hunting, and home protection, some target shooting as well. But no, these were not assault weapons of any sort. Don't want one, don't need one. And can't see why any other civilian would need one either. Oh yeah, for the coming race wars? The Apocalypse? The invasion from Iran? The zombie attack? Fucking nutters. We spend billions of $$$ on military hardware and personnel than like the top 12 countries in the world combined, and we need fucking Jethro and Bubba to protect the country and people. If it wasn't so stupid it would be laughable.

The NRA has gone off its rocker as well, and is nothing more than a shill for the gun lobby and manufacturers.

Worth a read. Facts speak for themselves.

Following the 1996 Port Arthur, Tasmania, massacre of 35 people, Australia acted quickly to effectively ban assault weapons. A mandatory buyback obtained more than 650,000 of these guns from existing owners. Australia also tightened requirements for licensing, registration and safe gun storage of firearms.

The result? In the 18 years before the intervention, Australia had 13 mass shootings. In the dozen years since, there has not been a single one. The laws also helped reduce firearm suicide and non-mass shooting firearm homicide.

Like the citizens of these other high-income countries, we are fortunate to live in a democracy. We can decide our own fate.

I weep for the innocent victims in the Tucson shooting, and for the many who will be killed in the future if we continue to define the Loughners of the world as decent law-abiding citizens and give them immediate access to the most lethal of firearms – until they prove us wrong.

http://guncontrol.org.au/2011/04/fifteen-years-since-port-arthur-gun-massacre-2/

The thing was a lot of "law abiding citizens" decided that handing in guns (illegal or not) during the amnesty was getting them off the street. The Australian public viewed that a lot of firearms were being kept just for the sake of having them with no intention of using them and not feeling the need to keep them as a sorce of protection. Basic mathematics Frash..........less guns = reduced chance of becoming a gunshot victim :biggrin: We are quiet clever for a bunch of convicts.

I thought Australia banned a lot more than assault weapons. From the photos I've seen, what was being turned in were hunting rifles and shotguns.

There was a loophole - any unwanted gun could be handed back, and cashed in - whether it was legal or not. My Dad got rid of a few he'd been given over the years, or picked up second hand. Some didn't work and he profited nicely even though they were broken. He even told the cop on the day they were just scrap, the cop said he could keep them if he wanted but the govt was happy to pay for them, working or not since they were all getting scrapped.

The only reason he handed them in he didn't want to fork out for too many new safes to keep them in - up until then they'd been sitting in the shed... unlocked, on the farm.

Archived