Amazing Comeback!

The_Munchmaster

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in sailing however can't help but be impressed by this. :applause:

America's Cup: Ben Ainslie's USA beat Team New Zealand in decider

34th America's Cup

Sir Ben Ainslie's Oracle Team USA sealed one of sport's greatest comebacks when they overhauled an 8-1 deficit to beat Team New Zealand in the America's Cup decider in San Francisco.

_70124170_70124169.jpg

The holders won eight straight races to triumph 9-8 after being docked two points for cheating in the build-up.

Oracle surged to victory by 44 seconds to retain the Cup they won in 2010.

The Kiwis won four of the first five races, making Oracle modify their boat and call Ainslie from the warm-up crew.

The British sailing legend, 36, a four-time Olympic champion, was drafted in as tactician in place of American veteran John Kostecki and was instrumental in the US outfit's resurgence.

"It's been one of the most amazing comebacks ever, I think, almost in any sport but certainly in sailing and to be a part of that is a huge privilege," said Ainslie.

Ainslie combined superbly with Oracle's Australian skipper James Spithill and strategist Tom Slingsby, another Australian who won Laser gold at London 2012, to drag the syndicate back from the brink in the most remarkable turnaround in the event's 162-year history.

"To be perfectly honest we had a mountain to climb," Ainslie added. "We knew we had to sort ourselves out. We had to get the boat going faster. We did that.

"The designers did a great job and we had to start sailing better. We got the momentum going and we started believing in ourselves and when you do that you can become quite strong."

The New Zealanders, with impressive early pace upwind and slicker boat handling, advanced the score to 6-1 as Oracle's crew and equipment changes took effect.

But the US outfit, bankrolled by software billionaire Larry Ellison, were soon up to speed and won 10 of the next 12 races to lift the oldest trophy in international sport, known affectionately as the "Auld Mug".

The Kiwis, led by skipper Dean Barker, reached 8-1 last Wednesday but were stuck on match point by a series of race postponements owing to strong winds, coupled with the start of Oracle's comeback.

Barker's crew came within two minutes of glory in Friday's race 13 in uncharacteristic light winds before organisers abandoned the race because the 40-minute time limit had elapsed.

In the decider in fresh breeze and sunshine on San Francisco Bay, Team New Zealand edged a tight start and beat Oracle to the first mark. The Kiwis stayed clear around the second mark but lost the lead to the Americans early on the upwind leg.

After briefly retaking the advantage, the Kiwis then watched as Oracle stormed ahead with remarkable upwind pace and remained clear for a comfortable win.

I've been following this for a while and whilst I'm miffed that NZ didn't win, it's worth remembering that there are NZers and Aussies on both teams and I think Oracle has only one American on their team.

I am also reminded of some of my early sailing days, vis - back in the days when we sailed Lasers at Kawau, and through -name- removed- we heard of the existence of Russell Coutts. He was the one, whose rich dad owned the factory, that built the lasers in NZ and further, used to build underweight boats (much faster) for little Russ to compete in.

So, not so annoyed that America won, but annoyed that Russell, has been given another sliver spoon for his already crammed mouth.

Archived