• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54662 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 14:57

If I didn't already have a car, I wouldn't buy one in Bangkok. Not only is the traffic horrendous, but when you get where you're going, there's either nowhere to park or some place that charges 100 baht/ hour. A car is fine in the countryside, but in the cities go by taxi, BTS or MTS.
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#22 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10671 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 15:43

Sell it then I have been "Car Free" since 2008 and don't miss it one bit, if I really "need" a vehicle just pick up the phone to Avis or such and rent one, easy peasy  and cheep as chips
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#23 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54662 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 16:44

It's good for making grocery runs and the like. I'm on the edge of Bangkok, where it's still possible to drive. I won't drive downtown though. That's just plain masochism. Nice to have for trips upcountry too.
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#24 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10671 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:15

Grocery Runs   ....    that's the wife's department hehe.

I have a Central Food Hall and a Big C both within 5 Minutes stroll from home so quite lucky in that respect (or maybe purchased in the correct location). As for trips up country, as I said, on the rare occasions I need a vehicle I find it easier to just rent
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#25 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54662 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:50

But don't you miss the excitement and adventure of driving with the Thais? It turns your hair grey faster than anything.  :surprised:

#26 radioman

radioman

Pot Licker

• Board Sponsors
  • 3236 posts
  • LocationBangkok - mostly

Posted 01 August 2017 - 15:15

It's not so much driving with them as driving against them.

S.H.I.T
Shit Happens In Thailand. It's a recursive acronym.

#27 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10671 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 15:22

Try being a passenger in Nam for 4 years    .....   Grey    ....   More like Bald.

P.S.

Flash when did you learn to use the correct spelling of Grey?
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#28 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54662 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:27

Hang over from my days in publishing in Thailand. British English is the standard.

The American spelling seems to have creeped in around the end of WWI. I've noticed that documents in the early 1900s still used grey, but by around 1920, gray had become more common.  Aluminium became aluminum around the same time.  :dunno:

#29 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10671 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:33

We really have everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#30 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 54662 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:12

Pity the poor Canadians. They can't decide which spellings to use and tend to mix them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users