Bangkok A Cheap Posting For Expats, Says Nestpick

Flashermac

Not all expats are Europeans. There are plenty of "Expats" from countries where living anywhere with a roof and four walls would be considered a luxury. I guess if you average those against the white European manger class living in CBD condos at 100-200 k THB per month you might end up close to the number they arrived at. I'm guessing it's an AVERAGE?

RM

You are confusing Expat with Migrant Worker

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration

Expats are no better than immigrants. I thought expats are called that by people from their home country. The people in the country they moved to use other names like farangs, gringos, immigrants, guests, tourists, etc.

Expat means you stay in a country for years but have no intention of changing your citizenship. Immigrants do.

Where did you find this definition? It doesn't sound like a Merriam Webster or Wikipedia definition.

OK my 2 Cents on this topic

An expat is on an expatriate package,namely accommodation with all utilities found, school fees (if applicable) return flights to country of origin (or cashed in) local transportation, health insurance etc where as an immigrant does not get any of these and has to pay for accommodation, transportation, schooling, health care etc.

An expat is more than likely to be a professional rather than unskilled labour which is more akin to you immigrant workforce.

I, by my own definition, am an expat in Vietnam, a 50Something Professional with accommodation / utilities paid for, health care found, provided with a car and driver etc whereas the guy from Laos who came over here with non of the benefits and earning less than 5% of what I do is an immigrant worker.

Not exactly Merriiam Webster or Wikipedia I know but having been “Expatriateâ€for over 30 years now I can only state my personal observations, don’t shoot me.

As mentioned in the Guardian link I posted previously, it can be misconstrued as a racist term in today’s PC society but to be honest I am a priveledged White Westerner and don’t give a damn and why should I? At least I am honest about the fact.

No confusion to me but I wonder if them what did the survey are privy to such taxological niceties.

I prefer the word “Systematics†to taxology but I get your point

Maybe my bad for jumping to conclusions, the survey was posted on a western website and not an Asian website so I assumed that it was aimed at western expats .... haha assumptions will get me into trouble one of these days.

It was my take / drew my own conclusions on what I read and the basis of the location of the people carrying out the survey, maybe I did not expain myself or the rational behind my thinking.

Maybe I am “Olde Skoolâ€but in the Middle East Westerners we’re referred to as “â€Expats†where as Indians, Bangladesh etc were TCN’s ( Third Country Nationals) except for one or two top guys

Expatriate refers to someone living outside his native country. Expatriate may be used as an adjective, noun or verb. Derived forms are expatriates, expatriated, expatriating, expatriation, the noun form of expatriate is sometimes abbreviated as expat. Originally, an expatriate was someone exiled from his home country, derived from the mid-1700s French word expatrier, meaning banish. The term expatriate carries the connotation that the person in question will one day return to his country of origin, or at least wishes to one day return to his country of origin.

An immigrant is a person who leaves his home and travels to another country in order to become a permanent member of the population. An immigrant is making a permanent change to his residency, with no plan to return to his country of origin or wish to return to his country of origin. The word immigrant comes from the Latin word immigrantem meaning to remove, to move in. Related words are immigrates, immigrated, immigrating, immigration.

http://grammarist.co...e-vs-immigrant/