Animistic rituals in los?

soongmak

I heard that some Thai people go to see witch doctors (thai name: ?mor? or ?mor doo? ?) to get their wishes fulfilled. I heard a story of a bg who fell in love with a punter and paid a witch doctor on Sukh. Soi 49 a handsome 5,000 bhat to make him fall in love with her and take care of her. The ritual included her undressing for him and applying paper gold to her vagina, breasts, mouth and forehead. AFAIK, it didn?t work :)

Is there anybody on the board who can shed some light on this phenomenon or who has similar stories to share? I can understand that is an excellent starting point to make some jokes, but I hope to get some serious replies on this.

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi,

This is very serious for many Thais (my wife, her friends and family included). "Moo Doo"s are consulted for just about anything and their word is accepted without question, even if it is the direct opposite of what the previous one said.

What the BG did is called a 'sa-nay' and could be seen as 'black magic'. This is less common, since it is regarded as a 'bhaap' (sin). People from Khmer and Surin are supposedly masters at this.

Honest "moo doo" will usually refuse to perform such a 'sa-nay', although there are exceptions.

One such an exception is:

My wife's friend went to see a "moo doo" to try and get her husband to leave his mia-noi. The "moo doo" agreed since this would re-unite a family rather than break one up.

Part of the ceremony consisted of him touching her breasts and sticking something in her vagina. (I personally think this guy was just a pervert :devil: )

I think this cost about 2-3K Baht, and not surprisingly it did not work.

Sanuk!

PS There is a rather large article inside the memberarea about superstition. You might want to read that.

Interesting what you said about the mia noi story, I heard similar ones like that. Not with sticking something in a vagina, though. You're probably right, that guy was a pervert :o

I also heard of rituals involving clothes and hairs of the victim, to make the spell more powerfull. It sounds like voodoo to me. I guess these rituals would probably also be seen as 'bhaap'.

What astounded me was also the amount of money that is involved. I mean 5,000 bhat, or like in your case, 2-3,000 bhat is a lot of money, even to me!

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi,

"I also heard of rituals involving clothes and hairs of the victim, to make the spell more powerfull."

Heard that too, also nail clippings are powerful. And believe it or not a common ingredient in 'love potions' is menstrual blood!

"It sounds like voodoo to me."

Yep. I think a doll was even made in the case of my wife's friend.

"What astounded me was also the amount of money that is involved. "

Agree, but prices for a normal session (i.e. plain fortune telling) are much lower. I think in the 50-300 Baht range.

Sanuk!

Hi,

[color:"red"] My wife's friend went to see a "moo doo" to try and get her husband to leave his mia-noi. The "moo doo" agreed since this would re-unite a family rather than break one up.

Part of the ceremony consisted of him touching her breasts and sticking something in her vagina. (I personally think this guy was just a pervert ) [/color]

He IS a pervert!!! When some people are desperate the straw of hope does seem to help. I have heard this "sa-nay" thing many times and many of the Issan ex-BG I met here really believed it.

Some people really think that one only way to hold on husbands is "sex". Many Thai women have "vagina" operation after so many children or aging so they could hold on the husbands' interest. One of a Thai friends here had her breast done with the hope that the husband would stay, it didn't work. :D :D :D

Cheers!

Archived