Farang killed in Nakhon Si Thammat

trooper

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Prickster:

Officially, there are 5-6 thousand murders a year in Thailand, but it is suggested that the real figure is about twice that high -

where you have your figures from; i would believe in the latter but not, that the official figure is as high

I was afriad only once in Thailand. A few years ago I was aimlessly walking around BKK in the afternoon. Not even sure of where i was. But the area looked in general disrepair and couldn't tell if it was burned out or just the grimy lead air. No businesses open, and just a generally spooky feeling. A Thai man (wearing working clothes) sees me from across the street. He trots across the street towardss me and before he reaches me he yells "YOU! RUN!" I just stare at him and he repeats "YOU! RUN!" I am only thinging, OK, which way, and look around. By that time he has reached me and says, without yelling "you run. Rain soon!" I looked up as the first of a VERY strong rain started. I could only laugh and Wai him and ran down the street for shelter.

That was the only time I felt unsafe. But that doen't mean I have never been in danger. My GF is afraid in areas I wouldn't think twice about, usually on streets in the car. SHe locks the door and says it is dangerous area. I look around and it looks like the same as everywhere else aroung the Chiang Mai outskirts. But she also tends to take one incident as meaning that happens in that area or in that way.

Sydney is an utterly spooky place, never felt comfortable especially at night. Try the Penrith line late on any given evening...

By contrast I spent a decade in Port Moresby which has a per-capita homicide rate sky-high, yet I can't recall a problem my whole time there.

Nakhon Si Thammarat certainly had a "reputation" although nearly always amongst the locals (as was Moresby most of the time).

Guess it just comes down to which place at which time.

• 2 weeks later...

FAST MOVING JUSTICE

I saw an article on the Thai visa .com news regarding this murder that occurred on Jan 12, 2003.

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=514&tt_news=102

It says that the 4 guys (aged 17-20 yrs old) arrested were sentenced to death on Jan 22 and then had their sentence commuted to life in prison on Jan 24. This final sentence was imposed 12 days after the murder occurred.

"This final sentence was imposed 12 days after the murder occurred."

Not to diminish the tragedy to the young Fin, but that's scary fast, considering it's possible one or more of these 4 may have not realized that one of the others intended to knife the victim.

Compare this to the current trial of the son of a prominent Thai patriarch, which may last several more years, at which time the press for justice may subside.

If you plead guilty to the crime it can be wrapped up very quickly here and you will normally get a lesser sentence, If they pleaded not guilty and went to trial it would of taken much longer, and then when they where found to be guilty they would of received the death penalty,

Pleading guilty they have the chance to one day walk free even though they got life sentences,

Archived