BKK to Pattaya by Limo/Taxi

Coloseum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes, he was trying to secure more work for himself - no problems there - but considering that Pattaya metered taxis do indeed have a type of stranglehold ("mafia" if you like) on Pattaya operations and any incursions into their territory will be met with action - the Pattaya Mail recently reported on the situation there - and the allegation that many crimes do go unreported by the media for many reasons as well as the common experiences that the boys in the brown uniforms are not interested in many falang victims problems, then that satisfies me enough not to take any undue risks just to save the price of a few bottles of Heinekin. Just in mentioning, when I recently booked into my hotel in Bangkok, a group of travellers were having a rather heated argument which was turning quite agro, with the metered cabs that they had caught up from Pattaya - sure these things happen everywhere and one incident that I saw doesn't prove anything - but it made it much easier for me to only patronise more professional driving services for travel.

metered taxis do indeed have a type of stranglehold ("mafia" if you like) on Pattaya operations and any incursions into their territory will be met with action - the Pattaya Mail recently reported on the situation there
If you can find a link would be interested to read it. Did try to find but their 60k web pages and poor search function does not make it an easy task on a dial up modem. :(

Was not aware that the metered taxis had taken over the baht bus cartel in Pattaya, if that is what we are talking about. If we are talking about transportation to Bangkok than why wouldn't they have a stranglehold on taxi transportation - they are the folks who hold the commercial taxi license and have the registered taxis. I sure would not consider charging below meter fare much of a mafia myself.

Will attempt to locate the newspaper article and post any good bits here for reading, don't know how I'll go retrieving the articles either. The reference was only to Pattaya metered taxis and their exploits in that region - apparently they are (alleged) to be using heavy-arm tactics to gain more or all of the market share for themselves and only allow taxi operators that meet their "conditions" permission to operate within the area - probably like a cartel - but this is their problem and not directly related to anything that could involve tourist safety, but this is more relevant - bad apples tend to do other bad things that might or might not include robbing tourists who are suitable candidates - I have heard, from gossip and tales I admit, of the methods that are being used when these unreported robberies are performed. I don't have any great concerns if had to catch a taxi long-distance during daytime or with company but personally would limit my chances by doing just that.

Straight poster on another board said the airline (ThaiAir) was out of that, no mas logo nor anything.

Still, Thailand is not the Philippines, most would be straight transaction IMHO.

The guy on Sukumivit, just use your hotel, even Nana guys (those blue cars) will go for 1500baht, you can simply say that what you pay, end of story. Then offer to pay the tolls so he will take the expressway. Done. Tip or not up to you.

Ones to AVOID are those along Soi Nana itself, the street, who roll down window and ask where you go. Fuck those guys, fuck them a thousand times and may their taxi's get smashed by a dump truck or bus. Disgrace to the entire country.

cheers

Nok the Kook

Archived