How much money to send?

think_too_mut

Now you are getting silly :eek:

Who shops for all their clothes at emporium??? certainly no Thai girl I know, including some very wealthy ones, ones who would easily get 1 mil plus as a dowry without blinking.

I dont know about you, but I shop at Vic Market alot back home, I buy bargains and specials, I know where to go in my city for everything I need. I also know where to go for almost everything in Bangkok, what to pay and what the Thais pay. My GF was earning 15K a month before we met, living with two friends in a 2 bedroom apartment, the apartment was 8K a month and it was fabulous, spotless and big, fully furnished and aircon. Only reason I am not there is they dont allow direct lines, and the phone is timed out at 20 minutes. That doesnt bother most Thai girls however. Another friend who works for an Aussie as his personal secretary and manager earns 25K, lives in a 3500 baht apartment out Ratchadapisek way, aircon, cable tv, semi furnished, 35sqm, clean and bright, she is university educated speaks perfect English and doesnt see the need to spend anywhere near what you are talking about on an apartment.

You need to remove the OZ prices from your head, forget about OZ prices, they dont apply, everything here is cheaper, all electricals and whitegoods are cheaper, clothes, well you can buy the originals sold as seconds but in reality ripped off from the backdoor of the factory. I love buying clothes here, the most expensive thing I have bought is a 3000 baht french evening dress for my GF, imported and from ZEN. thats 130 bucks, about a third what it would cost back home.

Noone is going to knock your effort towards your girl, but at the same time, I dont know of one normal thai girl who would live like this, and most of them have more than 3500 baht saved up over 3 months. My friend earning 25K saves 5k plus a month, she bought her own phone, computer, TV, whitegoods, and still saves money.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>My friend earning 25K saves 5k plus a month, she bought her own phone, computer, TV, whitegoods, and still saves money.

Kangaroo,

You are talking girls that work out of the box. I am talking a former prostitute who needs lots of work done on her. A complete re-engeenering.

Anyways, your friend earning 25K per month, paying 3K her share of the apartment's rent, not sending money to her family - she has nearly 4 times what my gf has to spend for living.

>Who shops for all their clothes at emporium???

Hardly anyone. I was just telling how much the clothes were there.

Khlong Toey and On Nut shopping malls is where we do our shopping. Herself, she does not shop at all. Only daily necessities.

>living with two friends in a 2 bedroom apartment, the apartment was 8K a month and it was fabulous, spotless and big, fully furnished and aircon

Where was it? On the Sky Train line?

>lives in a 3500 baht apartment out Ratchadapisek way, aircon, cable tv, semi furnished, 35sqm, clean and bright,

I would not live there unless my work was next door. Fuck the price.

Yes, she found a place like that around the former Nikko hotel (if you know the area, it's about 80bht taxi ride to Siam Square) but I did not want her to be that far and spend hours in traffic.

>and most of them have more than 3500 baht saved up over 3 months.

She saved 3500 from her 6-8K per month that she has to live off.

>speaks perfect English and doesnt see the need to spend anywhere near what you are talking about on an apartment.

I've got Syd harbour views where I live and all the convenience. 80 seconds to the city by train, 10 mins walk. I did not want too much travel discomfort for either her or me in BKK. Not to mention being injured or killed while riding on a motorbike taxi.

forget the skytrain!!!! What i would like to know is why haven't you bought her a new Beemer yet????? and while you are at why not a couple of outriders. Sorry to be sarcastic but this is getting very silly here.

>forget the skytrain!!!! What i would like to know is why haven't you bought her a new Beemer yet????? and while you are at why not a couple of outriders. Sorry to be sarcastic but this is getting very silly here.

Just think of this: everything necessary you need has been given to you at your birth.

Anything above that - is an excess.

How many things have you acquired that you can live without?

How many more you want? Have you thought of a new job that brings more of the goodies in?

Back to bgs: all they have is what they have been carrying since their birthday. Still, they can get people like us sucked in.

Leaving aside whether the girl is worth it - say she is - why would not I recreate for her the same environment that's around me at 2,4,6,8,10 everyday?

Beemers? No such cars in my house. She would, most likely, spend 3 months on the surf board until she defeats the white wash and get some real stuff.

<<You are talking girls that work out of the box. I am talking a former prostitute who needs lots of work done on her. A complete re-engeenering.>>

Does her being an ex pro mean she needs to spend more money than normal Thais? this doesnt seem logical. Personally I dont think money is going to help re-engineer her.

<<Anyways, your friend earning 25K per month, paying 3K her share of the apartment's rent, not sending money to her family - she has nearly 4 times what my gf has to spend for living.>>

I said my friends apartment is 3500 a month, add utilities say 4500 a month. She travels to the end of her road to the skytrain and goes to Silom every day, say 1600 a month. She sends a few thousand baht home each month, she saves up and buys all her things such as computer, phone, clothes, tv, washing machine, fridge etc herself, over the last 12 months of having this job.

<<Hardly anyone. I was just telling how much the clothes were there.

Khlong Toey and On Nut shopping malls is where we do our shopping. Herself, she does not shop at all. Only daily necessities.>>

So why the ridiculous rundown of the cost of jocks n socks at emporium?? ::

>living with two friends in a 2 bedroom apartment, the apartment was 8K a month and it was fabulous, spotless and big, fully furnished and aircon.

<<Where was it? On the Sky Train line?>>

Actually it was right by central Rama 3, and they all worked in the area, your arguement of being central only applies if you want your girl to live right in sukhumvit surrounded by the rest of the working girls, personally I would be as far away as possible to that. 40 baht gets you to the skytrain from where these girls lived.

<<I would not live there unless my work was next door. Fuck the price. Yes, she found a place like that around the former Nikko hotel (if you know the area, it's about 80bht taxi ride to Siam Square) but I did not want her to be that far and spend hours in traffic.>>

Why would she spend hours in traffic? no job to go to ::

Your choice of apartments is up to you, but the only reason to live in Sukhumvit that I can see is because you either live the scene, shop every day, or love the smell of diesel in the morning :neener:

<<She saved 3500 from her 6-8K per month that she has to live off.>>

Over 3 months remember, which makes 1166 baht a month she saved, so she spent 6834 baht a month or 227 baht a day, not bad for a Thai, my closest Uni friend lives on 500 baht a week, he rides his own bike around paying for petrol etc and manages to look after his GF well enough to keep her happy. He works days for around 15K a month and studies nights.

I am sure you know no amount of money is gonna make things better or worse, its u being there and getting her well away from the scene and from the old friends still in the scene. They need new friends, a total change of environment to really pull them out. Noone is going to lecture you about that, you are big enough to figure that part out I'm sure! ;)

>They need new friends, a total change of environment to really pull them out.

This is it - a total change of environment: her own place to live, no other bgs in the building, no other bgs that she knows in the neighbourhood.

School all day and every day except Saturday.

Homework in the afternoon, 3-5 hours webcam (no call disconnection after x minutes) with me.

With 10K per month she'll be sharing accommodation with - you know whom. Or live alone in a shithole I would not like to stay at when I am there.

New friends? If you read around you'll find how hard it is for Thais to cross the lines between social classes.

>Your choice of apartments is up to you, but the only reason to live in Sukhumvit that I can see is because you either live the scene, shop every day, or love the smell of diesel in the morning

How little you can see: the reason to live in the Ekkamai/Phrakanong area is - she can walk to all 3 schools she attends.

Walk: for Thais, "walking" distance is really very short. And the fourth school was on the sky train line, she completed it in December.

Reading where other board members live and how much they pay, I would say the unit is an entry level for an expat living on local salary.

<<With 10K per month she'll be sharing accommodation with - you know whom. Or live alone in a shithole I would not like to stay at when I am there.>>

I never suggested 10K as being a reasonable amount to send a girl, I was talking about your costing of everything you listed and bought here, thats where the entire debate started didnt it? So refrain from patronising me with the comment below..

<<New friends? If you read around you'll find how hard it is for Thais to cross the lines between social classes.>>

She doesnt need to cross social classes in order to have new friends, and no I didnt read around to find this out, I witnessed it over the years.

<<How little you can see: the reason to live in the Ekkamai/Phrakanong area is - she can walk to all 3 schools she attends. Walk: for Thais, "walking" distance is really very short. And the fourth school was on the sky train line, she completed it in December.>>

Ahh Ekamai is not sukhumvit, its less smelly but abysmally worse traffic wise. Choosing an apartment around 3 schools is something we all can understand, took you this long to mention it? I see alot, thats why I question.

<<Reading where other board members live and how much they pay, I would say the unit is an entry level for an expat living on local salary.>>

Whats a local salary?? I know of local expat salaries of 250K baht a month plus benefits, I know a guy in this range renting a 30K apartment, not a large percentage of income. Others might be lucky to earn 30K a month as a teacher, and live with their wives/gf's and babies quite comfortably, however not in the middle of 'town' so to speak. We (my GF and I)have friends at both ends of the spectrum.

I dont think 12K is entry level at all, you should be able to get a nice place for 12K down ekamai distance from the main areas. In fact you can get a 2 bedroom apartment in Tonglor towers for 10K furnished and aircon. Nice place too.

This is all way off topic though, cost of goods was the original arguement here, and as we all have our own views on 25K worth of undies at Emporium, best to leave it at that ;)

None! Just an idea: Imagine to send no money. Of course she will stay in the business, meet a lot of farangs willing to pay 50K baht per month, etc.. If she still tells you that she loves you and is willing to marry you and coming to your home country, then, maybe, it will be true. (Because if she only thinks about money, she would choose another farang paying her more...)

Best regards

"Yearly, with a reasonably modest girl, you are in for about 20-25K US$."

Hmm, I was living with 10K US$ per year when I was studying- in Switzerland!!!

I don't think that you are from the working class, aren't you?!?

Best regards

Archived