Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says ib13:

"CEP, Sukhumvit Square...will it be Asoke Plaza next?"

certainly don't hope so as this is the only 'real' bar beer area in bkk IMO. anyways I know it's hopeless as when the underground goes ahead it'll have to go eventually no?

Actually I hope Asoke corner does get demolished. It is a total bloody eyesore!

Says SoiledCowboy:

Looking at the piccies on Stickman's web-site - I CANNOT believe the devestation that has been committed...WTF was up that deserved that?
:(
( a b/g action of over-playing the scenario? - overacting poorly with dire consequences?)

Does Stick have pics of Soi 10 devastation on his site? I checked just now and couldn't find.

Not a word about this in the press. I was down in Singapore this weekend, but after reading the reports here, I scanned the newspapers which accumulated over the weekend and didn't see a single article.

Topcat is the bar owner here right? His story makes sense. And I think I understand the missing link in his story - why the bar and shop owners here lost their business even though they were "paying rent."

It is not uncommon here for people operating marginal businesses here to pay rent to a sub-lessor who does not pass on the funds to the ultimate owner. Happens all the time. This is why it is so important to check title and register that lease before making any substantial investment here. I don't know if I would consider any of the beer bars on Soi 10 substantial investments, but this is probably a good example of what can happen when you don't check title and register the lease. We don't make loans until that is done (although, crazy as it seems, Thai banks did before the 97 crash), and I don't know why a business person here would not do some checking on his landlord's bona fides before putting money into any serious business. How do you know the guy you are paying rent to actually owns the place unless you check?

The only thing that is odd about this event is that it happened so quickly. The Clinton Plaza saga dragged on for months. I know things drag on forever when we try to evict after a foreclosure, but then part-foreign owned banks don't have the same amount of clout as Generals. A different set of rules apply.

One final comment. I know many Thais in my office did not like the beer bars on Soi 10. They were just too visible. Whenever the farang scene is discussed, Patpong is always mentioned and sometimes Soi Cowboy, but NEP rarely comes up. Driving down Sukhumvit you really cannot see NEP unless you make an effort. That was certainly not true of the Soi 10 bars. No idea if this was a contributing factor, but judging from the comments I heard in my office, I suspect there will not be much sympathy for the Soi 10 bar owners.

What troubles me is that it sounds as though someone took the law into their own hands. (I also saw the articles suggesting summary execution of drug traffickers may be OK now.) That happens here, but it sounds as though this happend in a very visible and aggressive manner in the center of Bangkok. There had been a trend away from that sort of thing, but the pendulum seems to have started swinging the other way for the past several years. That is very troubling.

I think we have to be careful before this whole conversation becomes a bit too political. At the moment it appears that a very well connected land owner has decide to repossess his land (probably to secure a sale to another party), nothing to do with any government action.

I do think that whoever this person was, was possibly influenced by the events opposite at Clinton and was not prepared to take the long winded court route for eviction.

Now I doubt if any of the evictees will actually decide to take legal action against someone who has the power/connections to cary out such a move - Would you?

Archived