Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

Whoever authorized this operation must have tremendous influence and power to muster the resources to so quickly and thoroughly destroy these businesses. This person must also have had no financial stake in its continued operation.

I would think the Thai newspapers will get to the bottom of this quicker than the English papers.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Not a word about this in the press...

It took place too late last night to make it into the Sunday papers. It is all over the TV news tonight, though, and will definitely be in Monday's papers.

I paid a visit to the scene of the devastation this morning. It was total obliteration. I was quite awed by the sheer maliciousness of this particular destruction. Figuring the most recent selling prices of what I estimate as 120 tenants, I figure about US $1.5 million in equity went to zero, not counting the average of maybe another 200,000 baht in real assets on hand per bar - pool tables, liquor stock, air conditioners, etc.

Concerning the reported lack of press coverage, my live-in gf told me that none other than the Thai head of state (not head of government) went on national television today, making comments that she clearly attributed to the Soi 10 situation - concerning the effects of rash actions on foreign investor sentiment. Personally, I find it very amazing that a hereditary personage would even bat an eye about the Sukhumvit Soi 10 area, but I also have to say that it would be beyond incredible for my gf to make this story up about someone she reveres so much. This twist makes this a truly amazing story to me.

By any standard I can think of, the architects of this particular aggression, no matter how powerful, have placed themselvesin mortal forfeit. I can imagine the Thai personal fortunes lost, and with (literally) nothing left to lose, Thais can (in my opinion) rise to unexpected levels of revenge - even against the highest and mightiest.

I think of the 1, 200+ employees who will not receive the monthly paychecks they earned, and were expecting at the end of this week. Immense bitterness. Wow.

I've been hanging around BKK for seven years now (living here for three) - I've not seen anything happen here that even vaguely compared to this.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Stone Soup

I am just sick about this. I think about some of the lives this has torn apart.

My good friend, mamasan (of sorts) at (ex)Sweet Home Bar. She lives pay check to pay check to say the least. Doesn't really go with customers. Her 15 year old daughter is a great student. Met her a few times. All the money the mom makes goes to keep the girl in school. No cell phone, but sometimes I could call her on the owners phone while they were at work. As you say, close to the end of the month and I know she was really stretching the baht as always. Would never email me this late in the month to save even that money. What a shame. She is my BKK guide, calling herself my bodyguard. NEVER has asked me for a single baht over the years. I will break my golden rule and send her some, IF I can get in touch with her.

The young couple running the glassed in internet shop. Don't know if they owned it or what. But as nice as could be. I hope they didn't lose all that equipment! They had a baby I think?

The girl that just bought the hair cut shop. (don't know if it is the one refered to by Crash.The previous owner was a real beautiful lady! ). Saved borrowed and scrimped to get a one chair operation. How proud she was! She treated her new clippers like it was a sacred object Another life devistated.

How many others? Hundreds?

If anyone makes it inside the fenced area, look around area where SHB was. Look for a set of 22 gram hammerhead darts with red flights. SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :cussing: :cussing:

Now who still wants to do business in LOS? The price one pays when due process/legal recourse is still not in place.

Thailand is still a long way off from operating in a civil, democratic and legal environment. I wonder if this is what also excites us about the place? It is all about money, greed, and self-interests....

cardinalblue

Great post Rov,

I too know a few people who worked there. 1200 people means nothing until you put some faces to the numbers, and it all becomes real. Hopefully everyone's ok, and anyone who was sleeping in the bars was woken before it all came down.

Anyone who hasn't seen the pictures on sticks site, have a look.. devastating. Well done Stick for getting the story in so late.

Kin Hell. It all happens whilst I'm away.

Be interesting to see what comes of this, possibly someone has learned from Clinton Plaza, that place is still tied up in the courts. www.Rockhardphuket.com has a story on it on their site and a high view picture showing the devastation.

I seem to recall a few CEP bar owners were in a hurry to lease out their bars towards the end, and I also recall a lot of bars in Soi 10 trying/doing the same. maybe a warning to us all when we see this happening, and certainly a warning to any potential investor.

Archived