Help... Thai for ..'cynic' ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine,

Sarcasm and cynicism are two different but similar things. You seem to be mixing them up. :)

cynic: one who doubts human sincerity or merit,sneering faultfinder often using sarcasm

cynicism : a cynical remark

sarcasm: bitter or wounding remark especially ironically worded. Ironic taunt or insulting remark

( a lot harder to define than I thought )

db

Hi,

Thanks for the definition.

I still don't think the "yoh yeey" is exactly the attitude of being cynic though. A person, IMO, can not do the "chop yoh yeey" as a type personalities and being a cynic is a type of personalities, right?

What do you think of "khow pen khon mai khoi wai jai khrai"?

Translating directly is a little dificult for me, I learnt English without much translation.

Regards,

Jasmine

• 3 weeks later...

Daeng-

When there is no definitive direct translation of a western word or concept, I often make up a new word to get the meaning across.

Many Thai words are already just a combination of simpler Thai words to make a more complex meaning.

Example:

Cynic - kon kee(f) mai(f) cheua(f) jai

What Thai word would you use for "sarcastic"?

Says luckyfarang:

When there is no definitive direct translation of a western word or concept, I often make up a new word to get the meaning across.

Example:

Cynic - kon kee(f) mai(f) cheua(f) jai

Without being sarcastic do you ever have troble with people not understanding what the hell you're talking about?

BTW for your phrase I'd drop 'kee(f)' in favour of 'chorp(?)'

Archived