Help... Thai for ..'cynic' ?

Need the Thai for "cynic"

Transliteration and Thai scipt if possible.

(of course it's possible..we've got the best here ! :grinyes:)

The GF is going to love this one ! :banghead:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

closest would probably be

yey àÂé to ridicule, to deride

and

yeyyan àÂéÂËÂѹ to sneer, to scoff

or

prachod »Ãê´ to ridicule, deride, spite

think the western concept of cynic does not exist in the same way in thai; remember long time ago i asked my thai teacher the same question and i had to explain her first the concept, but she couldn't say a equivalent word in thai

Thanks samak. I have been trying to explain to my GF that I have a difficult time trusting certain things because I have seen too much and have become cynic (cynical).

She understands the general concept, but was hoping to get closer to a translation. Perhaps as you say there is nothing in Thai. (Although I doubt that as it is worldwide trait.)

Thanks again ! :dunno:

Figured as much. Really need the concept to be more on the "not believe" "hear before" idiom.

All efforts appreciated. Perhaps we should query some of the (former) bar owners from Soi 10. Sure they know the feeling. Probably learn some other choice words to expand our vocabularies as well. :cussing:

Hi,

[color:"red"] She understands the general concept, but was hoping to get closer to a translation. Perhaps as you say there is nothing in Thai. (Although I doubt that as it is worldwide trait.)

[/color]

It is true that laguages can not be translated directly at all times. However, ones can capture the "intent" with putting it in certain context.

For the context you wrote, it is the attitude you have gained so IMO, the word "prachod »Ãê´ " is NOT correct. It is more like "mai koy cheu took sing took yang" or "cheu yak" then you become a person who "chop prachod", meaning you don't believe all things and you are cautious and may talk/act in cynical ways. Sorry I have no Thai scripts on my computer.

This is my take on this context.

Cheers!

Thanks Jasmine..probably much closer to what I need. My Gf and I often spent hours with dictionaries for both of us, but as you say, sometimes certain words (although not the concepts) escape us. Now that we are doing the long distance thing for a while, it is even more frustrating for both. Thanks :hug:

Now about having no Thai scripts...... :banghead:

So here is what the online translator churns out;

©Ñ¹¡ÓÅѧÂÔéÃàÂÒÃ

anyone want to have a go at that one? :dunno:

Archived