Help... Thai for ..'cynic' ?

©Ñ¹¡ÓÅѧÂÔéÃàÂÒÃ

to smile like your saying 'serves you right' or 'I told you so'

trouble with cynic is that the meaning is not all that clear to many people in English. A 'cynic' is not exactly the same as someone acting 'cynically'.

To me a 'cynic' is close to a pessimist which would translate as ¤¹ÃçâÅ¡ã¹á§èÃéÒ (khon mong lok nai ngae rai).

You think this hard try explaining 'irony'.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Zaad:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

yey is what i explained already; yoyey is very close to the same meaning.

My TG told me yeyyan is more written language and yoahyey spoken language.

You don't think I knew this myself, do you??? :)

whatever.... ::

Thanks for all the tries..everybody.

I tend to agree that pessimist and cynic have different connotation. I'm an optimistic cynic. Pessimism has to do with outlook, while cynicism has more to do with aapproach based on past experience. :dunno:

It is amazinf how some words translate well and others don't. In Mandarin "irony" would be simple as the language uses a lot of it, also "puns" but could never get a satisfactory translation of "another" (AS in, "I'll have another drink".) :banghead:

So the GF knows my past pretty well, so when I tried to explain that, after 2 decades of employing and being around BGs, I had a difficult time believing them, she understood the concept of cynicism.

"sometimes you just can't get ther from here" :banghead:

I should mention that I once called my teacher this for continually suggesting that I frequented Soi 4 every night. She found it quite insulting and sulked for about a week. The fact that she'd just asked me if I'd ever been with a prostitute (out of nowhere) was, apparently, not as rude!

Hi,

I find that when people ask questions that I consider "rude", I ask, why, is a better way to understand. Or I just say "Do you know that your question is "rude"?

If I were asked such question, I would have asked "Pood len, rue pood prachod?" (Kidding or being a cynic?). In this context, she would have understood that you actually wanted to understand. If I were your teacher and you said "Pood yo yeu reu? (I am having a hard time transcriping here), I would take it as you challenged me. Of course, your tone and facial gestures should be considerred.

Did you act just like your "cute dog" there? If you did, she just sulked to let you know that you were "ABLE" to hurt her feelings and you should care :hug: :hug: :hug:

Cheers!

Archived