Departure Tax

phiketpete

Unless they upgrade the BTS with lifts.....which I don't think will happen....

Even you have wheel luggage I wouldn't want to drag it on the footpaths in Bangkok because there never flat!!!!!!!

Lets see the state of play when it is finished and ready to go, maybe there are more improvements on the way.

SB

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that!!! Shanghai was the first commerical trains in the world to use those strong magnets to travel at fast speeds (sorry for not using the technical words)....

If they did come in then that would be fantastic but I won't be holding my breath.

SB.

but I though they were only be used handicapped and not designed for people coming from the airport????? As long as they are big enough then good !

Taxi rank at the BTS stations? nope, will be difficult ....

SB.

I am fed up with these 'departure taxes'. Everything within 2km of an airport already costs an arm and a leg to buy (my $HK100 dinner, for example ...), then they stick you with a departure tax just to get out of the place ! All part of the cost of travelling ? Essential to keep them afloat ? I'd like to see the respective airport corporations balance sheets : our own little strip here in Brissie does very nicely, thank you.

Khwai,

thinking about it more....

They should dedicate 1 or 2 stations as main stopping points and increase the "terminal" facilites to make it easier for arriving/departing passengers to get on/off the BTS stations....possibly with an intown check in centre like Hong Kong....or like Narita Express in Japan....that still is a big pain in the butt to carry your luggage throughout Tokyo station!!!

Now that would be something!

SB,

Hong Kong airport is the biggest rip-off around for food IMO.....the cost vs quality is terrible, I think for a coke you are paying 20HKD where it can be bought on the street for 4.5 HKD....

Thats why I very rarely patronise these places!

SB.

My 3 baht:

(1) I like Don Muang. Its shortcomings are part of the charm of the place and the country.

(2) The sky train stops at midnight. That means a great deal of international arrivals will never be able to use it. Likewise, since the sky train starts at 6am it also means a great deal of international departures won't be able to use it either. And one has to wonder if people with luggage of any size will even be allowed like in Singapore.

(3) Airport taxes are pathetic and the proceeds probably only cover the paper, time, manpower, machines, and bureaucracy of having them. I don't understand why such taxes are not put on the cost of the ticket like every other expense.

Don Muang is fine until you have to walk from one end to the other without even a moving sidewalk running your direction. Or unable to climb stairs and find your plane is a walk up boarding. The fact that it often takes longer to exit the country than enter it is another minus (immigration outbound is very slow and understaffed).

From reports in local media the skytrain is not planned to connect to the new airport 'anytimesoon'. :dunno:

Us seniors are used to paying airport tax but most airports have converted to include it in ticket price now so perhaps that will come to pass.

Archived