Departure Tax

phiketpete

Says UPSer:

JP1--

I recall hearing from a good friend who works ramp for JL at NRT that NAA collects the fee in this manner... Correct?

--UPSer

Not only NAA but also the a/p authorities in OSA, NGO, PEK, PVG and I think HKG as well. ICN has just started the same way. That's quite usual-at least in East Asia.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I considered your approach, JP1, before I posted. And it seems sound. However, head-count reporting is still a manual process.

I don't see the harm in taxing each ticket when sold and making the taxable portion non-refundable. The only people who suffer hardship are those who don't keep to their plans and for a person with the means to travel internationally out of Thailand a forfeiture of $12 should matter very little.

I considered your approach, JP1, before I posted. And it seems sound. However, head-count reporting is still a manual process.

I don't see the harm in taxing each ticket when sold and making the taxable portion non-refundable. The only people who suffer hardship are those who don't keep to their plans and for a person with the means to travel internationally out of Thailand a forfeiture of $12 should matter very little.

It's not a manual-head count reporting. The airlines have the number of boarded passengers anyhow available. All they do is, they put these numbers into a computer and report them to the airport authorities. This statistical reporting has to be done since in a number of countries this is required by law.

Re. non refundable airport tax in case a ticket is not used (refunded). This sounds nice but in many markets that's not possible due to the fierce competition among airlines. If only one carrier deviates from such a rule, the others may lose. So I'm sure nobody wants to give it a try.

Archived