Departure Tax

phiketpete

[color:"green"] I don't understand why such taxes are not put on the cost of the ticket like every other expense.

[/color]

I remember an article in the Bangkok Post that the airlines wanted a larger cut to administer the tax than the current contract holder. It is shocking that the airlines would be greedy instead of thinking of customer convenience. :grinyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All--

The main reason that **some** airports still levy so-called POS (Point Of Service) charges rather than built-into-the-ticket charges is the administration charges... When an airport or other taxing authority assess fees on an air ticket the airlines deduct a small % for the collection/remittance of the fee... In the case of Airport Authority of Thailand, the admin charges are smaller doing the current way, even though they have to have some staffed booths and people to "puch" your ticket and those ticket machines.. So long as the manual labor costs are low they will continue to collect in this manner...

Here's another good example. When we (UPS) fly into or out of BKK, we pay our landing and apron (aircraft parking) fees by a company check EACH DAY before we fly out. Who ever is in Operations Control at our airport office, he writes and check out the the Airport Authority of Thailand and runs it over to the Airport Admin Offices and pays it. No pay, no fly.

--UPSer

Says SanukBoot:

I doubt that!!! Shanghai was the first commerical trains in the world to use those strong magnets to travel at fast speeds (sorry for not using the technical words)....

If they did come in then that would be fantastic but I won't be holding my breath.

SB.

WELL actually according to the state railway of thailand's own official website they are stating that they are planning to build a southern high speed train

Yes, but when are they going to get real and collect the tax when you purchase your airline ticket like 95% of other places? I hate having to keep 500 baht seperate for the airport when I leave. Its one more thing to have to think about I don't need! ::

Says FlyPapillon:

Yes, but when are they going to get real and collect the tax when you purchase your airline ticket like 95% of other places? I hate having to keep 500 baht seperate for the airport when I leave. Its one more thing to have to think about I don't need! ::

In other countries where tax is collected by the airlines, the airport authorities usually pay a certain commission to the airline companies (btw 1-3%). Since wages are very low in Thailand it's more profitable for the Airport Authority of Thailand to employ staff who collect the airport tax.

Says shygye:

Osaka airport the tax is not part of the ticket. You have to use a vending machine to pay it. No people to collect the tax.

Yes, I know, OSA airport tax is still not collected with the ticket fare. There are vending machines at Dong Muang airport (most time out of order) as well.

Vancouver (and I beleive some others) collect an Airport Improvement Fee. Supposed to be used to pay for the new facility. I expect to see more of this in the future.

Does anyone know if the departure tax is just a general revenue for the gov't or is it a designated charge? :dunno:

Archived