Education in Thailand

sanukdee

Hi,

I think the minimum is 6 years (could be more though). Average amount of education likely differs greatly, upcountry I'd say probably not much more than 9 years on average (may even be less). In the cities though I expect it to be at least 12 (i.e. finished High school).

Sanuk!

The new constitution provides provisions for mandatory 12 years education in compliance with WTO guidelines.

This has yet to be fullu implimented. Although 9 compulsary year is now common in most but not all provinces and towns.

There is extensive information available on Gov't website, but mostly in Thai. :banghead:

Hi Rat Rooter,

My kid has got a Thai passport, and will also get a Aussie one this year.

My Thai staffer has a Aussie passport, originally had to give up his Thai passport, but laws now changed so Dual nationality is not officially recognised.

Yes - you can enter Thailand on Thai passport, leave on Thai Passort, then enter Aus on Aussie Passport.

Perfectably acceptable.

HOWEVER - dont drink to much on the way to the airport as you MUST leave the country on the passport you entered on!

He got caught this way - entered on Thai, forgot which passport he was using and tried to leave Thailand on his Aussie passport - which of course had no entry stamp or visa!

Rule of thumb, use the passport of the country for that country, unless of course you are dodging taxes!

FARRRRK, here I am an airport drinking the free piss and getting confused with which post I am answering SORRY GUYS!

I have to stop drinking with my spanish mate

9 years is what they want to extend the minium too, however many schools not equiped for this, so plan is still bogged down.

6 years is the norm

If a thai goes to grade 10, considered very good.

12 years of formal school available, however degrees are awarded over 2 3 or 4 years.

The engineering students we hire here have all been very good!

I read recently that the current average age of Thais leaving school is 12, which is actually under the legal requirement.

I meet Thais all the time who can barely read and write.

The Thai press carries lots of stories about the poor state of the Thai education system and its often cited as the biggest problem facing Thailand at the moment.

There is actually no schooling required in reality.. If a parent wishes the kid to go work in the fields at 5 or 15 years of age there is nobody going to go force the parent to enroll the kid. I know of a few families that have taken their kid out of school to work at the family restaurantetc . I (we) tried to explain that the kid would probably benefit more from it but they never listen.

Officially each area must provide up to Matoyom 3 ( grade 9) but the is no way that they will force every child in the country to go to M.3 ( Grade 9 ) In the rural areas, the standards are not on the same level as BKK even though they use the same curriculum; which is very strong. They are re-doing the curriculum, for next year, starting with P1, M1 and M4. (grade 1,7,10) following the American(USA) SAT system.- Will take years to get rote learning out the classroom and maybe never will.. With 50 students in the class rote learning is by far the most effective means. Unless they revamp the entire system from the ground up they will always have rote learning but it does make for some mind numbing classes and hence a mind numbing, herd mentality society.

Archived