So who else REALLY want to be an Expat in LOS ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the idea is a good one and hear of it every now and again in one form or another execution is a much different matter.

Bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds and professions to see what synergies can be made and applied to actually making a decent living in Thailand. Dat's da idea.

It's a great idea but let me take a step back.

What is business when you get right down to it. Trust. Trust that the counterparty is going to fullfill their obligations. There is a reason that almost all significant business done here has to have bank liens. There is no trust.

The people who you are likely going to meet with this idea are people who you can't trust and people who are not clued into what's going on here. Those that are clued in don't have the time to weed through these types of groups to find the good nuggets.

If you really want to do this, you really should just make the jump for 6-months to test the waters. Before you do that, make sure you have a good understanding of your abilities and what you have to offer. Put it together in a small portfolio and use it when networking.

Be prepared to network anywhere. I haven't been doing jack, and I'm berating myself for that, but even not doing anything, I've met the top man in Thailand for a major industrial company and a manufacturing company, been goosed by the bodyguard of the prime minister, I am being invited to a Channel V event with a VIP pass, etc.... The opportunities are here but it does take a little pounding of the pavement.

Oh wait, I'm not doing nothing here. I am teaching English :) It ain't all that bad, but it ain't roses either :)

<<burp>>

I've always wanted to be an expat on a FAT(or less fat) EURO contract in an exotic city like bkk, rio or jakarta :D

the fact is that I'm still working out of europe, but fortunate enough to make a substansial business trips to many parts of the world. Ideally I'd still travel, but out of an exotic hub as opposed to now!

My company is a true multinational with offices in cities like bkk, rio, jkt, tokyo, shanghai etc, but the problem is that my line of work only really work out of say HK, SYD, Beijiing & tokyo - not really my preferred places :banghead:

Now I've been thinking about many times to do something else just in order to be able to live in say bkk, but never done much about it.

So what's plan?

:dunno:

LaoHuLi, apologies for a slight thread hijack - I felt the need to address lb13's post. Please tolerate my rantings - you've been good enough to do so before :)

lb13, IMO you have the best of all worlds. The opportunity to travel to other cities on the company tab (I know that living in a suitcase sucks, but bear with me), and the opportunity to work in a place like HK. No, I wouldnt want to live there either, but think of the weekends ! How many of us can jump on a Friday night flight to BKK and be in Sukhumvit in 3 hours ? Or Cebu over the long weekend ? Bored with that - how about Shenzhen ? Shanghai ?

If anything, reading some of the posts from expats who are working in Bangkok has cured me of any desire to do so. The current IT downturn, the oversupply of English teachers, frustration with Thai employers and employees alike - the list goes on.

Lets face it - work is work : its what you can salvage at the end of a week/month/year of the stuff that makes all the difference. Taking a lesser job simply to be a short walk from your favourite part of Thailand may seem like a good idea, but I wonder how many expats have questioned the decision after a few months in the LOS ?

I know being in e.g. HK sounds great as a convinient hub, but we also know that even a 2-3h flight might be enough hassle that a weekend trip might not happen very often. add to that weekend trips aren't anything like being an expat in LOS!

on the other hand a former collegue of mine(who I showed LOS) in similar position got lucky & got the FAT BKK expat deal lasting more than 2 years now, but he rarely sees anything outside the office & his home(thaiwife) :o

enjoy!

I'd like to think life is what you make it. Work is only a part of life. I think it is important not to lose cite of that

To me, work is subordinate. While it would probably be hard for me to get employed at a bulge bracket again, it wouldn't be that hard for me at all to get some consulting gigs at 10x my current Thai salary. And I'm on the edge financially.

While I am concerned, I wouldn't change my life. I am much happier over here. I learn new things every day. Constantly amazed and dismayed about things around me.

I am not to worried about the future as I know there is always demand for good people in any market. I am confident that I am "good people".

Question to ask is if you died now, would you have any regrets?

<<burp>>

Says Zaad:

I already live and work in LOS, but I earn in Baht.

I would like to work here as an expat earning in Euros.

Hi Zaad,

Very picky. :banghead:

I would like to be paid in Euro's as well but have to settle for US dollars. :eek:

I would guess that most expats on the "fat contracts" are here by chance rather than planning. The job with their multinational came up in LOS and they were the one selected to go.

Good luck with the project LHL.

Khwai

Archived