Learning Thai - Which way is best?

Thai was my 5. foreign language and by far the most difficult to learn...and i am still learning; maybe i used too sophisticated and academic methods with thai script, tone rules, exception from the rules and all that stuff. maybe i should just stick to mimic...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the long run its probably best to be able to read and write the language.

In the beginning you should buy yourself a little notebook and carry that with you everywhere, and note all new words into it, as you go along. You can create your "own" phonetic system, that tells you how to pronounce the words. Also the two most important questions for the language newbie is "whats this mean" and "whats this". I used these questions a lot myself and almost drove my friends crazy, but it worked.

Good luck.

Pharcyde

Well you seem to already apreciate that we damage ourselves by learning Thai before reading/writing. But in a practical world where we

need to live day to day in LOS its pretty hard to deny yourself to learn some words.

You sound like your already comited to learning reading and writing. It would help you a lot to memorize as many consonants and vowels as you can before you start your lessons why dont you take a look at the Program from Courage Software I found very useful and user friendly for learing the consonants.

Untill your actually ready to start your classes, even 20 mins a day will go a long way.

Like you, for me learning to read and write Thai is not a question of whether I will do it, and really how long it takes is not a problem either. Although it would be nice to aquire it sooner because being able to speak fluently is the real goal.

I have the courage software, however, it does not work on Win XP!!!!! I upgraded my home PC and assumed all would be okay but it doesn't work!!!!!!!!

Actually, I am going to retry the installation on another pc to see if there is any difference....

:banghead: :banghead: :doah:

SB.

I'd go with the guys that said option 2. However a basic vocab is necessary at first but I gather you already have this if you've been communicating with Thais already.

The mimic method is good up until you get a word that you've read and not heard, the only way to know its correct pronunciation would be proficiency in the script. It doesnt take long to learn the alphabet and start constructing words, you'll be surprised what you can read and understand.

As for your software prob all I can say is.....

Windows XP :cussing::banghead:

I studied script by myself a couple of monthes before my first 2 trips, and yes it's not easy with these consonant classes and tone rules. Now in this third trip I took three weeks course at Somchart School, and at last I got corrected properly on my pronounciation (studying on books has limitations...). At this beginner's stage they don't bother with script, but knowing script (and having my tone rules chart at hand) helped me better understand some words, when in doubt on pronounciation or tone of a word.

Besides I find Thai script FUN !

When I finally decided to take the job ofer that would get me to Thailand I learnt in Australia.

Persional one to one lesssons, which at $10 (About $4.50 US) an hour are still cheaper than studying in Thailand.

Studied for 6 weeks, twice to three times a week for two hours at a time.

I found this better as I had no distractions going on as you do get in Bangkok (Must go to bar, must drink beer, must work dammit)

Also this meant that the teacher wasn't trying to get me to teach her, a problem I have had in Bangkok.

However, I think if you can read as well, that will also dramtically increase your knowledge, nothing like looking a word up in a dictionary!

Good ;luck!!! :doah:

Archived