Ever been unemployed for more than a month ?

gobbledonk

Hi,

The profession is IT. My company is very Male-Oriented, especially most big shots are retired military including my hubby. However, many women learn to play the game and earn the respect.

However, your point is taken on claws. Still many women in high positions want to be "Queen Bee", their problem not mine. If I cannot find a door in a brick wall, I either climb :: over or drill a hole through it!!! ::

By the way, I do climb wearing skirt and all :o :o

Cheers!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Artiew,

I know what you mean. I've been unemployed for the past 7 months. It is so hard to be motivated to look for a job after so many rejections or no responses from your resume submissions. 3 Uni degrees and I still do not know what I want to do when I grow up. Luckily I have my military retirement pay to help out until I find some kind of job. Mean while, my savings are getting smaller and smaller. Doesn't stop me though as I already have my ticket and money set aside for my return to LOS in Sep for 6 weeks holiday. Hopefully I can find some sort of job before then to build up my savings. Don't give up, there has to be something out there for you.

Billywan

Hang in there, Billywan. 7 months - whoa ....

I have been asked to put together an estimate of the amount of time it will take me to build a website for a group in my local area, and how I propose to do it technically. Depending on how this pans out, I hope to be working on this and other projects of a similar nature over the next 12 months. I will also continue with my TAFE course, and hopefully land a part-time gig teaching when I've finished that.

These are uncertain times, and I am prepared to take them a day at a time. I hope things improve for you in the near future.

Artiew, I am also one of the unemployed IT mass(USA). I've been working in the IT industry as everything from DBA to network administrator to programmer(mainframe and client/server) to business analyst and more for over 8 years. My skills are very fresh and even considering my experience and certs, I do not require a high salary. Every single day for the past 4 months I have sent out 2-4 resumes. I have got responses from TWO of them thus far. Both saying that the position has already been filled, but thanking me for showing interest.

I have tried telephone follow-ups and that has gone absolutely nowhere. Now, I have to wonder what ever happened to business hiring ethics. I don't know how many companies I have sent my resume to REALLY have jobs available, but I'm guessing that it's a small percent. It would seem that recruiters(internal AND external) are stuffing their portfolios with names and numbers to either meet quotas or something. And it is really making me lose faith in an industry I used to love. As strange as it sounds, I get a feeling of betrayal from the whole thing.

Anyway, I have decided that if Monday comes with no late-breaking news, I am going to get a job outside of IT. Sure, the money won't be nearly as good, but then again, it will be nice to have some freedom once again. Life free from on-call pagers and cells. Ahhh!!! I've never been into the whole ratrace thing anyway. I just love the technical side. Yes, I'm a complete computer nerd. Getting back to my roots of industrial and factory work might not be such a bad thing for me after all. Hmmm...

And when employers are doing the next Y2K-esque scream for talent, I'm going to use them like the whores they are and retire. Guess you have to "play the game" or starve...

Best of luck finding a job in a cutthroat market. It's not easy these days. Who I REALLY feel bad for are the recent and upcoming CIS, CS, etc grads who have no experience and are trying to get the salaries that we were getting back in the heyday of IT. They heard the stories, dreamed of driving a Ferrari, went to college, and are now just simply stuck on stupid trying to figure out what in the hell we were talking about. My brother has a 2 year old son and a wife and just graduated in January with a BSCS and the employers aren't beating down his door like they did to me did when I graduated. He's really depressed. Me? I just shrug it off and say "I'll be back". Maybe.

I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, I have decided that if Monday comes with no late-breaking news, I am going to get a job outside of IT. Sure, the money won't be nearly as good, but then again, it will be nice to have some freedom once again. Life free from on-call pagers and cells.

gtharm,

Thanks for this, as it sums up the way that I feel 100%. I am giving my prospective employer until next Friday, then its a case of finding something to pay the bills.

I also agree 100% re ditching on-call bullshit. For eaxmple, some of our clients' would-be-sysadmin jerkoffs enjoyed screwing up their internal network over the course of a weekend (no prior warning that they were reconfiguring it), then ring our on-call phone on Sunday night to ask us to resolve the issue(s), because our application was the 'mission-critical' backbone of their business. Telling them that it was going to cost several hundred dollars an hour for us to even start investigating was inevitably met with hostility, and it was often a battle to get the money from them after we'd sorted the problem. Having a job that I can just walk away from at knockoff sounds really good.

LOL I can definitely relate to that scenario. I have always hated being on-call. You never get paged when you are just hanging around bored out of your gourd. You always get paged whenever you are thinking "Man, I sure as hell hope that nobody pages me right now". I've lost 3 girlfriends, 2 concert tickets(Ozfest and Pink Floyd), 1 Dallas Cowboys @ Cleveland Browns ticket(which was probably better for my health, as I was set to go in full Dallas regalia and Browns fans are psychopaths ::), and countless hours of sleep thanks to being on-call.

Anyway, as of today, no calls. No e-mails. No company-hired busty seductresses. Time to call up my old boss in the paper mill and see if I can get back on-board. Pay won't be quite as good as IT, but I will actually get paid for any overtime I work and when I clock out for the day, work ends. No stress. No on-call.

And, besides, when I get back to LOS, the girls will all call me most hansum man ever and I will feel better and not worry about IT or the fact that I can't afford a BMW 7 series anyway. ::

"I get a feeling of betrayal from the whole thing" Oh hell yes, just think about the companies that still support foreign employee visas. They are cutting unemployed citizens out of the equation to top it off a lot of their work is being out sourced to companies based overseas. I even know of a company that uses a headhunter firm because it's a minority company, which is based out of the states. Can you imagine getting a call from India about a job in Atlanta? I myself am expecting the layoff notice at the end of the month; the nursing field is looking better everyday. Hung Tuff all. ::

Late '80's things were pretty bleak oop north in England. Had 2 years on the dole. Not a lot of laughs. My solution was to return to study at college in an occupation that I knew straight away was going to be deeply tedious. Ten years on after finishing college and starting the slippery climb up the greasy pole of career success never been unemployed again but have been made redundant, (after being headhunted from my previous job where I'd been for 4 and a half years to a senior position in a company that had "major" financial difficulties).

Now, my current employers are talking about layoffs of support staff thus increasing workload for those left. I'm in the enviable position of bringing in a lot of cash for them but being a fish out of water. If they offered me a pay off then whey hey. Get me that taxi to the airport.

I think it's to do with human nature and always wanting something that we haven't got. The trick is to live life for the day and when things start getting tough then always revert back to your daydream of what if/when and how. Maybe someday you'll live your dream and find that it wasn't what you wanted after all.

Anyway, keep your pecker up and your powder dry. If you fancy a career change there's a shortage of plumbers in the UK right now, looking at £1000.00 + sterling per week.

Compared to other sectors, IT is still running good (jobserve.com).

Search from 13694 I.T. jobs

Search from 03163 Engineering jobs

Search from 01698 Sales & Marketing jobs

Search from 01553 Construction & Civil Engineering jobs

Search from 01324 Office & Admin jobs

Search from 01318 Finance & Insurance jobs

Search from 01318 Accountancy jobs

Search from 01119 Electronics jobs

Search from 00730 Legal jobs

Search from 00700 Catering & Hospitality jobs

Search from 00607 Medical jobs

Search from 00312 Travel, Leisure & Tourism jobs