EVA Evergreen Club?

JJsushi

If you are a member of the EVA frequent flyer program can you please give your opinions about the program? Does status on the airline give you better treatment? I am interested in the quality of services offered and experiences regarding upgrades, lounge access and treatment by staff when you have serious travel issues.

Thank you

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there are some benefits. Lounge in major cities at the silver executive level, can be put on standby for flights sold out, etc. I fly for the airline and not for the club however.

I think they are best I've flown and recently (Jan 1 2003) changed their freq flyer program for the better. Before you had to use flight award coupons (which they issued whenever you accumulated 20,000 miles) by the end of the second year (if I remember correctly). I have been flying them steadily for 5 years (whenever I could get reservations) and in all that time only used 7 coupons one time to upgrade to business class. I am not a continual flyer but a few trips to the US every year should add up.

The new program allows miles to stay in your acct for 5 yrs I believe. This means I might actually get to use the miles for some free travel.... You can check out their prgrm on their website. The EVA offices are on Rama 4 (not far from Tesco).The people there speak excellent English and are extremely helpful to answer questions.

I don't have any advanced status in their FF club, but now it is vastly improved as gene said. The coupon system SUCKED :onfire: :banghead: :: :cussing:

I have only had one problem. I arrived in LA for a flight (shortly after 9/11) I bought the ticket many months before departure. The flight time had been advanced by a few hours but I had checked that a few days before. So instead of leaving at 1am, it left just before midnight. I showed up and they told me I was 1 day ealy! I argued that the flight was 2 hours earlier, not 22 hours later! They would have none of it and not even look at the computer to see if I was listed. Had to get a supervisor, and he checked, and sure enough, there I was, listed on the flight. Jeez.

SO unlike United, NW, and Singapore, they will not notify you of flight changes. Those others have all notified me in the past. Be diligent.

..."now it is vastly improved as gene said. The coupon system SUCKED "

Yep...before last month the issued & mailed you 'Award certificates', one for every 5K-miles. And you had to present the certificate either at the airport or when reservations were mad. Now, in addition to extending the validity of miles for five (instead of two) years, they now have E-Miles and you can mail in your existing award certs and get them exchanged for electronic miles. No need to again carry the certs...just give them your Evergreen card and they can access your miles. Great airline too, I only use them for Asia.

I'm normally on Eva but I get biz related discounts that dont allow miles , but I do get access to the TPE lounge , I'd give it a B minus at best , very small food selection , not very comfortable seating , last couple of trips I passed on the lounge during the transfer time. It's also a bit of a walk back to the departure gates too.

BadanoperksBing

• 3 weeks later...

I generally fly Evergreen Deluxe and find the service on-board very acceptable. I did manage to reach Gold status for 1 year and certainly had several complementary upgrades to Business Class so I do think that they do favour their Evergreen members. Apart from the lounge access that takes the sting of the 2 hour wait at the airport, I find the additional luggage allowance useful.

Never had a serious travel issues to worry about, so cannot comment on what the service is like if things go wrong.

rookie wrote:

"The coupon system SUCKED"

I completely agree. Booked up for London-Bangkok-London in December 2002 for flights in April 2003 and booked economy. Aimed to use "award certificates" for upgrade to Evergreen Deluxe both ways.

However, the bastards have only wait listed me for the upgrades (now end of February) :onfire:

EVA have their own lounge in Bangkok airport which is not very good but use the Air Canada lounge at Heathrow which is quite good (same lounge as used by Thai).

Cheers

Fatbastard 33

Have you called 'Reservations'. I had similar problem requesting upgrade from ED to BC on a recent flight. They assured me that the check-in staff would do there very best to upgrade me and they did. I think they bump up their fare paying BC passengers into FC and then it goes down the line.

I'm doing the same in April to be in BKK for Songkran and had to be a bit flexible over dates to get the upgrades as the flights are very full for the weeks either side of the Easter weekend but I have got confirmed upgrades this time.

Not so sure that the previous system completely 'sucked'. In the past I could arrange the upgrades through the travel agent. Now I have to book the flight with the travel agent, then call EVA to arrange the upgrade.

Archived