100 GB hard drives in Bangkok?

I like that page--just one click and you get all the info you want. Interesting they don't have a price on the only 100GB+ drive. I remember some time ago when I went to buy a big drive I discovered many places in Pantip advertised 100GB+ drives, but no one had any. Best I could find was 80GB at the time.

Yeah, they're one of the best value shops in Panthip, I buy most of my hardware in there which reminds me ... the new ASUS A7V8X looks like my next upgrade ::

Havent seen any 100Gig HDDs though either.

I was in Pantip today. Didn?t see any 100 Gb hard drives but 120 Gb seem to be widely available ? generally Seagate @ 6,960 Baht and Maxtor @ 6,600, though as always shop around I saw one place with the Maxtor 120 Gb @ 6,050 Baht and others with it @ 6,150.

Great info, guys. You have confirmed my suspicions that Chiang Mai computer stores are ripoffs. The cheapest I saw a 120 GB there was an IBM and it was over 8,000B. I guess I'll hafta go to Groongtayp to buy that and other stuff I need.

By the way, someone once told me that Maxtor drives were not reliable. Any truth to that?

Hi,

Maxtor lately reduced their warranty on hard drives from 3 to 1 year. Might give you a hint. Within the family we have some older Maxtor drives and they are running for years now without problems.

In my computer I got two Maxtor 6Y120LO hard disks with 120 GB each. I use them for DVD rips, to store mp3 and backups. So far no problem. Only when on one physical drive I copy data between two logical drives it gets fucking slow and sounds like killing the drive. Test in a computer magazine says the same, only I read it after I bought the drives. For the purpose of just storing mass data I should have gotten two Samsung spinpoint 120 GB, only 5.400 rpm but cheaper, and they don't get hot. Might be an issue in hot climate. Wouldn't use both the Maxtor and Samsung as system drive, got an IBM drive for that.

I think that others drives are shortening warrenties from 3 to 1 years as well, not very reassuring, coupled with the amount of data that people throw on one of these drives I hope you have a backup strategy or loss of data is just an inconvieniance. I lost an 80gb Maxtor drive on my home computer after 3 weeks last year and because it was a home computer it was mostly an inconvieniance. However since I am lazy to back up to CDs I replaced it with three 40GB Baracudas and started using software RAID. I would normally only use Seagates or IBM drives, but I am aiting to see what Hitachi does with IBM's drive division. I used to like Micropolis to, but they became a victim of a buyout.

ag

Archived