Movie night in BKK ?

Pom_Jao_Choo

Wow, Emporium has been around since '97? That is unbelievable. My, how time has flown.

That place and WTC were my two favorites to go to the movies.

Two questions for you fellow movie goers:

1. Have any of you been to that simulated Drive In Movie theater here in Bangkok. Coming from the location (New Jersey) of the very first drive-in theater in the world, I wondered what this was like.

2. Why so many damn commercials in the Thai movies. Hey, the ticket prices are cheap, but I would be willing to pay more if they cut out the commercials. Although, some of them are pretty funny. :)

Says Sarisin:

Two questions for you fellow movie goers:

1. Have any of you been to that simulated Drive In Movie theater here in Bangkok. Coming from the location (New Jersey) of the very first drive-in theater in the world, I wondered what this was like.

People sit outside with their legs and hands out in front of them. The theater has bucket seats for comfort and bench seats for the hankypanky crowd. No windshield to fog up.

But really what the heck is a simulated Drive In Movie?

You drive in and park and stare out the windshield but the screen is missing? Is this a Thai only thing, perhaps see it in Japan.

S ::

Yes, The Emporium opened just about the time of the economic crash, and thus predictions of its downfall at that time ran rampant. I had read the theater had been bought by the group that's in Mah Boonkhrong. What is that? SFK? Something like that, but the sign there just says it will be called something like Cinema Emporium.

As for that simulated drive-in: If I can't sneak my friends in by hiding them in the trunk, then I ain't going. :)

Says Shit-Spattered Dog:

But really what the heck is a simulated Drive In Movie?

You drive in and park and stare out the windshield but the screen is missing? Is this a Thai only thing, perhaps see it in Japan.

Actually, there was an article with a photo about it in the Nation not too long ago. Honestly, it appeared to be more of a restaurant than a Drive In Theater. The simulated part is that they are not real cars, just fake convertibles.

You sit in your convertible, have your food delivered, and watch the flick.

I'm not sure if bonking your convertible-mate is permissible. ::

Archived