YaaDong

My Cow Jai

I debated about putting this in the food and drink section, but its arguably more of a cultural thing.

Would like to hear from members if they know of any YaaDong shops in Bkk. For those unaware, YaaDong is a strong, rural style LaoKhao whisky, that is steeped in herbs, stalks, shoots, and the bark of plants for medicinal and health purposes (Yes Rusty - many of the recipes are for putting lead in your pencil! :D).

Many shops are now closed or on the demise as YaaDong is rejected by new generations of Thais. Does anyone know of any shops in the capital that have a good variety of YaaDong recipes/preparations?? Choice of YD in my local area is limited, and I would like to expand my supply and knowledge of a both rustic and health imbibing (!) excuse to get utterly trollied... :drunk::D:drunk:

Ta!

Hi!

I have seen it in Pattaya bars although not in the tourist areas. They sell it by the glass from big jars so they probably make it themselves. Also there is often blokes going around selling it on Jomtien beach.

In BKK I don't know but the big pharmacy on Sukhumvit just after the petrol station when coming from NEP has snake wine on display, perhaps they have other exotic drugs as welll.

regards

ALHOLK

You could buy Yaa Dong on the sidewalk just past the Termae when you're heading towards Cowboi. On Cowboy you could buy it by the glass in the little convenience shop. I remember I got pesterd in some bars by old ladies who wanted 10 baht for a shot of yaa dong....

Cheers,

soongmak

• 2 months later...

I'm a Yah Dong fan also. In BKK well there used to be a place on Suk Soi 4 just opposite Nana Plaza entrance that sold it. Also an outdoor place in Patpong. There was / is a Yah Dong bar in Saphan Kwai on Paholyothin on the east side of the road just near the skytrain station. there is also one on Paholyothin soi 60(?) up near the airport but I don't really like their Yah Dong much - has a strong vanilla taste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived