Bank Accounts

kohchaiBKK

I was at my bank last week to get a letter from them to re-up my retirement visa. Two farangs came in and asked if they could open up a savings account. They were told that they could not do it if they were here on a tourist visa. I held up my passbook, which had origonally been opened with a tourist visa, and said they were wrong. The manager said that the laws had changed since I had opened up my account. Does anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Bank of Asia at Sukhumvit Soi 4 (2 Pacific Place Bldg.) told me in early Jan 2003 that I could not open an account (savings) without a work permit. HOWEVER, they told me to go to Bangkok Bank and I could open an account there. I did and they did, with no questions asked. I used the Sukhumvit branch near Soi 8.

-redwood

Bangkok Bank seems to be an exception here.

I asked recently for a friend at Bank of Asia, Thai Farmers and Siam Commercial, all with the same negative answer.

However, at Siam Commercial I was told that its possible at the head office at Ratchadayothin. Bit inconvenient if you live in sukhumvit though.

I have a friend who recently (this year) opened an account at Thai Military Bank on a 30 day transit visa.

He said this was the only bank that allowed him to open the account on 30 day transit visa .. don't know if the amount of deposit/transfer figured into the decision-making process by the bank but it was no pocket change.

[color:"blue"] I held up my passbook, which had origonally been opened with a tourist visa, and said they were wrong. [/color]

On the side note, how did the bank personnel react to the open and public criticism/challenge by a third party?

You believe right. It was reported in the papers at the time (2-3 years ago) that foreigners were not to be allowed bank accounts to combat the laundering of money by drugs dealers.

The banks were all sent notices to this effect but they didn't seem too bothered about enforcing it at the time.

but for certain visas (i think retirement) you must have a certain amount of money on a thai bank account BEFORE you can get the visa. but on the other hand they require a proper visa (not tourist or transit) BEFORE you are allowed to open a local bank account!

now that sounds logic! :doah:

last time i was down many told me that openning an account was difficult for tourists. but i know that Thai farmer bank do it. friend got denied in Bangok bank nad went to Thai farmer and there it was ok.

Archived