Upcoming Wedding Party II

buffalo_bill

Fello boarzmen,

I am looking forward to participate in a Thai/Thai wedding within the next couple of days. I was initially thinking of an egg boiling device as gift but now I am in doubts. I might have a competitor and his boiler is more expensive. Loose face. A bundle of red g-strings for the bride sounds a bit offensive after thinking twice. At the Chinese weddings I did have the limited pleasure to participate you meet an emotionless cashier at the entrance of the ballroom and you release a red envelope with cash. May I kindly request your precious advice how this is going to be handled in the kingdom.

Bbill , clueless

Same same, deposit an envelope with a donation to the wedding couple.They'll make the rounds to see all the tables in the room, that's when you drop the envelope.

Sometimes you put it in a box somewhere. Just look what the other guests are doing with their envelopes.

Hi,

If you do decide to release an envelope with cash, you should consider that the amount you donate is a figure you can divide by 3. As 3 and subsequently 3x3 is considered a lucky number in thai.

Mayby you have noticed hat the emerald buddha in Wat Phra Kaew has a nine tiered umbrella?

Giwing cash as a present is perfectly acceptable in Thailand especially if the amount is right :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

In my wedding in Isaan the gifts varied from 20 to 500 bahts in cash (which divided with 9 will be, well let me see ...??). Only my friends from Europe brought other gifts than cash. However, in Bangkok the amounts might be larger and the customs might be different. Still, I think cash is quite common in Thailand.

Yep BB,

your name should on the envelope or a card inside. My wife says that htey keep track of the donations and whenever the favor needs to be returned they look up the list and you get what you gave......... At least, that's the idea.

Says limbo:

Yep BB,

your name should on the envelope or a card inside. My wife says that htey keep track of the donations and whenever the favor needs to be returned they look up the list and you get what you gave......... At least, that's the idea.

I see... same hypocrisy as here then :( :(

Cheers !

Archived