Should I pay for these drinks?

Coloseum

Story #1

Went to Hollywood (3rd. floor NEP) with a couple of ladies,

and ordered 3 drinks. About 5 minutes later they had blackout. No music no light. I waited 5 more minutes and

got up to leave. Just as I was stepping out the guy comes

over to me and demand that I pay for the drinks. I explained

to him that I had not even received them. He was not impressed and insisted that I pay. I did not think so and signalled the ladies that we were leaving. One of the ladies was scared to leave until the dispute was settled, I urged her to come and we left. It wasn't the money but the way he demanded payment pissed that me off. Anyway, Should I have payed?

Story #2

Our Place SC. I order a Campari Soda and get a Bacardi Soda. I point out the mistake to the service. She removes

the Bacardi (which I haven't touched. The error was visible

by the color) and serves me the Campari. all is well until

I glance at the sale slip. Bacardi & Campari. When i complain

they tell me they had to throw the Bacardi. I complained

to the Falang owner and he relented after a pointless argument. What pissed me off is that he even bothered to

argue in what seems to me to be a clear cut case and he gave me the feeling that he was doing me a favor. Will never

go there again. What do you think?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I agree, you should not have to pay if you didn't get what you ordered. BUT I remember my last trip, I was sitting in Cathouse and this fellow ordered a beer. He ordered a Kloster. Mind you not, I was sober and heard him plain as day. The words that came out of his mouth sounded like Carlsberg. He got pissed off and angry at the bartender. He was even more pissed when they didn't have Kloster either. Sometimes it is kinda hard to hear inside the bars and let alone to the fact of the language difference. I always make sure she understands what I am trying to order.

ZMAN Z28

Case 1: Didn't get drinks, shouldn't HAVE to pay. No confusion there.

Case 2: Same, but... "Compari" does sound a bit like "Bacardi" in the din. I can see where confusion might arise. The owner did the right thing, by my standards, maybe not by Thai standards.

Given that, the rule seems to be "farang will pay". I recently took a mototaxi ride, about 15 minutes duration, ended up back where we started, never actually reaching the destination. I should add that the driver was on MY cell phone, getting directions as we drove!!! I was going to the pattayalive.com offices in Pattaya, never found them. On return, head honcho says, "No find, you pay now, 30 B". Smiling, I politely declined. I say, "You take me again and find it, I pay". However, I was won over by the next Thai motomafioso's flawless logic, to wit: "You fuck lady 1 time, you pay 1 time. You fuck lady 2 time you pay 2 time" :dunno:

I'ver also been asked to pay for incorrect orders in restaurants, where the first (incorrect) dish is served, taken away and followed by the correct item, and then I'm charged for both!

Just remembered an incident at a Thai restaurant where I live: ordered a vegetarian dish, it arrived with chicken. Complained to the owner, who literally took the chicken out of the dish and said, "now vegetarian". Never did business with them again.

Thanks for letting me spew. :)

Just remembered an incident at a Thai restaurant where I live: ordered a vegetarian dish, it arrived with chicken. Complained to the owner, who literally took the chicken out of the dish and said, "now vegetarian". Never did business with them again.

I saw the same thing in a restaurant where a guy had ordered his fish without chillies, but got those hot peppers anyway. When he complained to the owner, she picked the chillies right off and said "not have chillies now!" Off course this is very rude , they should have taken the dish to the kitchen first :)

Personally, in a case like this, I would just pay up and make sure I leave not a single baht as a tip.

Cheers,

soongmak

Story No. 1: No drinks were served, I wouldn't pay up either.

# 2 is a bit different. I can understand that you are annoyed over the fact that they served you the wrong drink, but in a noisy bar the difference between campari and bacardi is hardly audible. Considering the fact that in a lot of establishments it is not unusual that the waitress has to pay the drink out of her own pocket, I would have let that one go.

Cheers,

soongmak

Same same, but I drink that Bacardi Soda and then tell them that this was not what I wanted. And pay.Smile and try to understand that mistakes happen.

case #1 I don't pay if I don't get a drink, why should I.

I agree with last poster.

#2.The two drinks sound similar. I would have drank the first one and made sure the second was made clear what I wanted. No big deal to me.

#1. If I had 2 girls with me and the light went out, no way I'm leaving!!!! :hubba:

ANd your drinks would have shown up and taking a little longer in the dark is understandable. You really didn't wait very long.

What's the fuss? You didn't pay for it ; owner didn't ask you to pay , Everyone's happy. THIS IS THAILAND get into the spirit - Mai Pen Rai

Coloseum wrote:

'I complained to the Falang owner and he relented after a pointless argument. What pissed me off is that he even bothered to argue..

The owner might not have asked directly for the money, but he certainly revealed his intention to get it ouf of Coloseum by having this silly arguement.

Being in Coloseum's position I wouldn't enter that place again.

Not really what I call Sanuk. Lots of other place to go to.

Although I wouldn't(couldn't) have been in his situation. I would have drinked that Baccardi first and screamed loud and clear for a Campari afterwards.

Story #1 I wouldn't even have paid the bill if it were handed over by a couple of priests.

says Rovineye, quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#1. If I had 2 girls with me and the light went out, no way I'm leaving!!!!

ANd your drinks would have shown up and taking a little longer in the dark is understandable. You really didn't wait very long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd have waited except for the fact that the Aircon was dead

too.

Archived