Should I pay for these drinks?

Coloseum

says AhTeckLim quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the fuss? You didn't pay for it ; owner didn't ask you to pay , ; didn't set guys to set you on fire. Everyone's happy. THIS IS THAILAND get into the spirit - Mai Pen Rai

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The owner did ask for payment. He only relented after an argument.

2. The drink was removed w/o telling me I'd have to pay for it and then the Campari was served. I happened to look at the sale slip and thus discovered that I was being charged

for the Bacardi. At least they should have warned me that

I'd be charged for 2 drinks.

Story #3

The lady I was with (I forget in which bar) ordered a Lemon Bacardi Breezer. She was served an Orange one with the

waitress apologising, as she was serving us, that they were out of Lemon. She knowingly took it upon herself to bring us

the Orange probably believing we wouldn't care.

The lady doesn't like the Orange but the waitress insisted

that since it was opened we had to have it. I ordered something else for the lady and drank it myself.

My point in telling you these incidents, which would hardly

ever arise in the western hemisphere, is this :

1. If I were a Thai man would these incidents occur in the

the first place ?

2. If the answr to 1 is yes, how would a Thai man react ?

Or, as one poster said, they just believe "falang will pay" and

try to take advantage of us ?

I have no problem in accomodating the local commercial norms if thats indeed what they are.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Coloseum:

says Rovineye, quote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#1. If I had 2 girls with me and the light went out, no way I'm leaving!!!!

ANd your drinks would have shown up and taking a little longer in the dark is understandable. You really didn't wait very long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd have waited except for the fact that the Aircon was dead

too.

Point well taken!

Or, as one poster said, they just believe "falang will pay" and try to take advantage of us ?

Well, she did sell you that orange Baccardi Breezer and that'll be enough encouragement to try the same with any other farang.

Not blaming you here Coloseum, I just don't see how there could possibly come an end to this if people (farangs) easily accept wrong orders and/or drinks.

I hate it when they play stupid...or should I say smart?

I don't know if they'd done the same to a Thai, I doubt it though.

Guys, stop and think for a moment, yes they may have got it wrong, but the drink cost comes straight out of THE SERVERS SALARY, not the managers taking, read the total amount of money she earns that night (as a server).

For this reason I always pay, (f**k it is only pocket money) I just never return, that hits the bar owner harder in the long run.

JS,

I see your point here but also the other posters who mentioned that this would never happen to a Thai man were right.

The ol' 'farang will pay' is something I've learned to discard over time.

I once lived with a Thai family and notice the huge difference in how Thais are treated by service people.

I was dined with an older Thai woman at a seafood place on Sukhumvit a while back. The Tom Yam Goong coming in a hot pot thingy with the flame inside (forget the name of the thing).

A few weeks later, I go along with a mate from the UK and the Tom Yam comes in a bowl. Go figure! :dunno:

Just stand your ground, retain your humour and don't get taken advantage of. The Thais will respect you more than the smiling, overly-friendly, eager to please, we're all equal farang.

One thing Thailand is so damn famous for is the ever worsening SHITE SERVICE. In this country no one really seems to understand what true service is. Whether it's a gogo bar, a pub a restaurant or whatever, the service is always,and will always be a sub-standard one :banghead:

I often have the reverse problem. I order Carlsberg and recieve a Kloster. In the beginning I tended to pronounce Carlsberg as we do in Sweden. This made the serving girls look like I had asked them to explain the second law thermodynamics. Eventually I learned to pronounce it in correct English. This improved the situation but I still get a Kloster from time to time.

regards

ALHOLK

Whenever I order a KLoster(RIP), I pronounce it kinda like Klosteh and try to point at someone else who is drinking it. As far as the pronounceation thing goes, I am an America so I prob mess up saying Carlsberg anyways myself. I like both beers Thanks to Khun Sarisin for geting me a Carlsberg from the tap last trip. It is acually pretty tasty and I find myself craving it from time to time now.

ZMAN

When I was there in January, I was in shock to order one in my first 5 bars and all being out of it. Did some investigating to find out they do not make it anymore but they make an almost identical replica called "Klassik". I have heard rumours that another beer company has started to make it. When I left Thailand, they were limited to stock on hand, so you could still find it.

RIP:

ZMAN

Archived