Beaten-up

thalenoi

Here is a photo that would get parents jailed in any western country

Just not true, in Switzerland the parents wouldn't get jailed for letting their children do this. Children should be able to have some fun....

Best regards

(I was walking 2 kilometers, crossing roads to go to the kindergarten. This was surely more dangerous than what this cambodian boy is doing)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And playing in the forest for hours, climbing on 30 m tall trees, crossing 10 m deep canyons on a fallen tree,.....

In the USA the children are really overprotected.

Best regards

Says jasmine:

Hi,

[color:"red"]Also, allow me to remind you that these small villages normally consist of houses that stay open most of the time. It is not like in the West that people closed their doors and never know or mind of what is going on. Many of the Westerners, including me, find the Thais very nosy, but the culture is just that they want to know everyone.

How true. Except this little village is Chiang Mai! Locked drive way gates, glass on the fence walls, etc.

Hi Thalenoi,

Due to your description of your GF I suspect that she was the youngest daughter?

The strongest obligations are usually put on the youngest daughter. Also happened to my wife who is the youngest daughter among 8 sieblings.

She too had to tend the buffalo and stay by it`s side all day to ensure I didn`t loose it`s way or was stolen.

Fortunately she has 2 elder brothers who are very supportive towards my parents-in-law so that some of this pressure from the "youngest-daughter-obligations" has been lifted.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi,

What I have seen in the North where I grew up is the opposite, the oldest daughter normally sacrifices for the younger siblings. I have seen many daughters become prostitutes so the sons or younger sisters can go to school.

My mother and her 2 younger sisters became orphants when she was only 8 and they stayed with an uncle. The primary duties were taking care of the bufflos and she had some horrible tales.

Many farmers use whatever they can for labor and it is still common that the children of young age work wherever, you still can see them helping parents in markets and so on. The problem I have always had is many parents still do treat the sons better than daughters, look at some lazy-doing-nothing men all over Thailand. :banghead: Many of these me do not know what responsibilities are ::

Cheers! :D

Just attended that wedding of the oldest daugther.

My gf is second.

I understand life is not black-and-white and the parents didn't know better.

It seems the gf had nice talks with the parents, but there is illimited respect towards them, and that's part of the culture.

What frightened me was her ideas of suicide, and btw at the same time we attended the marriage ceremony (and we are still staying at the parents house because we are buying land for the gf today) a few houses further down the street a party has been going on for days for a 20 years old boy who committed suicide.

As some mentionned poverty has much to do with beating children and I hope this will fade away for next generations.

Archived