Asian Acute Respiratory Disease Spreads Worldwide!

rookie

While this post properly belongs in the "Health" forum, I thought it best to alert all about this new and thus far untreatable and potentially lethal disease. It is originating in Asia and being spread to other parts of the world. The severity and concern about this malady caused the Centers for Disease Control to have a rare Saturday meeting (yesterday). For the latest info, read the latest comments by the (CDC), at the link below:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/releases/2003/pr23/en/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Associated Press also has an article on this posted within the past hour.

Very long URL

... a man traveling from Atlanta to Canada is "reported to have developed some respiratory symptoms," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Doctors do not know what causes the illness ? even whether it is a bacteria or virus. Gerberding said doctors are unsure whether antibiotics or antiviral drugs have an effect on the disease since they have not been consistently used in the areas with the most cases.

The potentially fatal illness is believed to spread "person to person" and have an incubation period of two to seven days, Gerberding said.

"There is no evidence to suggest that this can be spread through brief contact or assemblages of large people," Gerberding said.

While there may not yet be evidence in this case, most respiratory infections are spread by an aerosol produced when an infected person coughs or breathes. The best prevention is to limit time spent in enclosed spaces, wash your hands frequently and keep them away from your face.

[replaced URL shortened - KS]

Thank you, Jap12. More in the spirit of "General Discussion" we might look to the response of Thai government and media to this situation.

Both of the articles cited above list Thailand as an area of concern. But digging into the coverage of the English-language press we find no coverage to date from the online Nation and only one article from the Post; http://search.bangkokpost.co.th/bkkpost/2003/mar2003/bp20030315/news/15mar2003_news08.html

Public health permanent secretary Vallop Thaineua said no cases of the severe form have been reported in the kingdom so far.

Diseases Control Department chief Charal Trinvuthipong said his department had coordinated with all airlines flying between the three countries and Thailand to screen their passengers by making them fill questionnaires on their health history. He said no airline passengers had been detected with the infection since its outbreak last month.

This would be comforting news for those in the Kingdom if it didn't fly in the face of the statement by the WHO:

During the past week, WHO has received reports of more than 150 new suspected cases of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), an atypical pneumonia for which cause has not yet been determined. Reports to date have been received from Canada, China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.

There does seem to be a disconnect here.

Says artiew:

. Better for members to get sick of reading about it than to
really
get sick ....

I talked to GF in Chiang Mai and every one in the family (except her) is sick. The have all been to the hospital and no real problems. I have a bad cold now, and she was very concerned that I was not going to a doctor. I guess my only point is that the word has spread farther and faster than the virus/bacteria. As it should.

Says artiew:

. Better for members to get sick of reading about it than to
really
get sick ....

SO I was thinking about this last night, as I am leaving in about a month for LOS. If this gets bad, will I go?

When I first went to LOS, my biggest fear was being seen as a gold depository and wandering down a bag soi and getting my throat slit.

My next trip to LOS my biggest concern was knockout drops on nipples. If she uses too much will I die? Should I bring cellophane?

Ya bah use gets really bad. Drug addicts rob motorists along the road from Chaing Mai to Mae Hong Son. We drive anyway, but lock the doors and not stop for a crashed motor bike with man waving us down.

While Hiking thru the north, west Burma was lobbing mortars into Thailand and we could hear them going off. Are we going to get stuck in this mess?

Flying in Oct 2001. Need I say more.

Hanging out in all the nightspots in LOS right after the bombing in Bali. Warnings from many governments, but so what! Sanuk!

Falangs having to take piss tests! What if they are not accurate or are dishonest? I don't do drugs, but what if?

War in Iraq imminent around my next trip. Terrorism, canceled fights, jihad. Aint gonna stop me.

I am sure I have skipped many of the panic du jours. Some very real, some not. But what would it take for me to actually cancel a trip? If the shoot evry third tourist getting off the plane? :dunno:

I am a little concerned about this flu-like illness. I plan on being in LOS at months' end and the last thing I need to do is get infected on cramped plane full of 300 people sucking in the same circulated air.

Bombs, war, terrorists, crime etc don't frighten me at all and would never factor in my decision to make a trip or not. A man sitting next to me on a flight to or from Asia who has some evident signs of cold or flu makes me friggin nervous and makes me contemplate changing my trip.

If the incubation period is longer than 10 days (the length of my next trip), then at least I can suffer\die with a smile on my face. But then again, I'd be suffering from the post-LOS depression when I get back which is bad enough without have a illness to contend with as well. So may be getting infected 5\6 days into the trip would be just about optimal ;)

Frig, What have we had..8-9-10 deaths. Wow a serious disease. The CDC went over board on this one. Must be budget time again. Ahh yes it is budget time again. Maybe someone is looking for more money. Frig, I am sure more people gave died from tripping on there shoe laces, maybe we should bring back velcrow shoelaces world wide. I dont see how this warrents international or even local news.

Archived