Asian Acute Respiratory Disease Spreads Worldwide!

rookie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is another virus as a result of the globalisation, gen-food etc

Would you please document how you know these things about the current outbreak, then give details of the prior instance that would qualify this as "another". Thanks in advance.

............I can see it now...planeloads of worried passengers wearing goggles (not glasses, to cover the eyes and protect

suseptable mucous membranes), and surgical masks. Kinda sound like something from a Woody Allen movie ;-) .........

or a Micheal Jackson look-a-like show !

<<No serious, this is another virus as a result of the globalisation, gen-food etc.>>

Speaking as a molecular biologist/genetic engineer with some 25+ years experience, including several published papers and book chapters on human immunology, I fail to see the link with genetically modified food. Perhaps I'm mis-reading your post or have overlooked something in this rapidly changing field. Let me know what facts I've missed, please. ::

The quality of air on aircraft is extremely poor anyway. Invest in portable, 'snitixed' oxygen ...

Very unscientific, but I calculated once that when you inhale on a plane you are getting air that has already been breathed about 20 times already. Instead of providing lots of fresh air, the airlines filter and pump back used air at you for cost reasons. They actually tried cutting back fresh air even more, but backed off as too many extra people were getting airsick. They claim their filtered air is in some ways better than average air you get on the ground, but in some ways it is worse. They didn't elaborate, but I suspect while you get less pollen you get more viral content for instance. I can't remember where, but there was a study about the little oxygen filter units you can sling over your neck that blow air to your nose and the conclusion is they make things worse.

From www.who.int:

"Thailand

As of 15 March 2003, one imported case has been reported in Thailand. The case (a health care worker) travelled to Thailand on the 11 March from Hanoi, Viet Nam. The case is known to have had close contact with the Hanoi index case and to have been unwell on arrival in Thailand. The case was immediately isolated on arrival in Thailand and reported to be in a stable condition and is being cared for in isolation. There is no evidence of transmission of SARS in Thailand"

Full update at:

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2003_03_16/en/

Why stop there? How about each plane full of passengers in complete head to toe biohazard suits and on top of that bomb squad body armour and then a big parachute strapped on to boot.

Actually, that last thing is something of interest. Forget the live vest under the seat, you are generally already dead upon impact. Put a dang parachute in there instead so people can bail out!

If I may presume to quibble, I think what Escape Rabbit is inferring is a suit appropriate to Level IV biohazard protocols. As such it would have a self-contained air supply outside a laboratory environment. In a closed enviroment like that getting rid of waste heat is more of concern than conserving it.

For sure it would for a prolonged period, but it is possible. The US Air Force did a test in 1960 where a guy bailed out from 20 miles up and the jump took 4 minutes of free fall. Not sure what kind of equipment he was wearing to do that though. He said at first he thought he was floating away into space because there is so little air he felt no wind and his clothes were not flapping even though he was actually traveling over the speed of sound straight down!

Archived