Asian Acute Respiratory Disease Spreads Worldwide!

rookie

...'the last thing I need to do is get infected on cramped plane full of 300 people sucking in the same circulated air. '

Well, just do a Michael Jackson impersonation...and wear a surgical mask. Or for the really paranoid, who are flying, they can wear a 'germ warfare' type mask. Of course these methods make eating kinda difficult....;-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A man sitting next to me on a flight to or from Asia who has some evident signs of cold or flu makes me friggin nervous and makes me contemplate changing my trip."

I know very well what you mean. I?m not a paranoid guy but I just returned to the US with my children and in the seat immediately behind us a Chinese looking man had a cough. At the time I was thinking great, just what I need, return to the US and come down with a cold especially my children. The asshole did not even have the courtesy to cover his mouth when he coughed. Now this news comes out and I'm very concerned, watching the kids close. It's not likely that anything ugly will come of it but right now but I'm more worried than I'd be if I'd gone bareback with some Thermae freelancers.

I didn?t know about this illness prior to our flight. As of now who in their right mind will sit anywhere near an obviously ill person on an Asian flight especially a 10 hour flight? The flight attendants themselves must be getting very nervous. If this doesn't bother a guy heading to LOS for P4P, then he shouldn?t be bother with using condoms either.

You don't have to be seated next to him on a plane (or train) to inhale the virus (perhaps more than a single strain). The quality of air on aircraft is extremely poor anyway. Invest in portable, 'snitixed' oxygen ... and more oxygen bars!

And, what about all these BKK taxi drivers ? ... some from up north in Thailand (and even Laos), ... has anyone noticed the

obvious congestion exhibited by some of these drivers ?

Can anyone distuguish the difference in cough displayed by tuberculosis and this new ominous virus ? ... which is worse ?

Isn't the air bad enough alreay? ... that's what I really liked about Singapore, the clean air ... plus it was lush and clean.

What about skytrain? Should we follow the example of

Michael Jackson ? :onfire:

"The CDC went over board on this one. Must be budget time again. Ahh yes it is budget time again. Maybe someone is looking for more money."

For WHO to issue a global warning it is more than this. Last time they did that was in 1997.

Some of the Asian countries are more likely to conceal these things. China has been very slow to react, 300 people are reported to be infected in the Guangdong province. Hong Kong has been in denial.

The reason it was taken seriously in VietNam is probably that it happened at an international hospital. It might have been played down if it happened at a public hospital.

When it comes to Thailand, I am reading in the newspaper that "some are infected". I don't think we can expect any openess from the authorities on this one. Too much tourist revenue is at risk.

Cheers!

Says check_bin_krap:

"The CDC went over board on this one. Must be budget time again. Ahh yes it is budget time again. Maybe someone is looking for more money."

For WHO to issue a global warning it is more than this. Last time they did that was in 1997.

Some of the Asian countries are more likely to conceal these things. China has been very slow to react, 300 people are reported to be infected in the Guangdong province. Hong Kong has been in denial.

The reason it was taken seriously in VietNam is probably that it happened at an international hospital. It might have been played down if it happened at a public hospital.

When it comes to Thailand, I am reading in the newspaper that "some are infected". I don't think we can expect any openess from the authorities on this one. Too much tourist revenue is at risk.

Cheers!

You may be right.

Just heard cathay pacific In Hong Kong have told check in staff to refuse to check in anyone with these symptoms

very hard on the staff with this as well as the extra security they are all expected to performe.

I hope the source is found quickly or will have some travellers rethinking trips. :dunno:

Yikes

First off I believe it was the WHO not the cdc that sounded the alarm. I flew JAL on my last trip. ( about a month ago) I did notice that some of the passengers where wearing masks. I am not sure if it was as a courtesy to other passengers or to protect themselves. There where some real hackers on the flights. Seems that many asians don't cover their mouths when hacking or sneezing. I took a ride in a cab I BKK that was terrible. The driver just hacked and hacked never once covered his mouth. I think he was very ill and I was ready to jump out of the cab. I am getting a TB test soon just to make sure. I seriously doubt he is still alive. I once heard that if the Chinese would simply seperate the pigs and ducks on their farms we would almost see an end to the flu.

Apparently the flu virus mutates withing ducks. People cant't get the flu from ducks (chickens maybe) but pigs can. And people can get the flu from pigs. It is this continual mutation that cause the outbreaks, and that makes the drug companys keep developing the most current vaccine. This latest disease may end up being a particularly strong flu virus. By the way you may have noticed that many of the outbreaks are called asian flu or do you remember the swine flu. But then again who is the rest of the world to tell China how to raise pigs! I just hate the damm PC stuff sometimes.

"But then again who is the rest of the world to tell China how to raise pigs! I just hate the damm PC stuff sometimes"

Thanks for interesting info Dave. I have been wondering why these flus come from China..It always seems to pass via Hong Kong, which is logical as its a link to the mainland.

Its not the first dangerous one either. I read something about "bird flu" which has been recently in Hong Kong.

Cheers!

...' only 8 people have died. Sure hundreds have flu like symptoms, but if it was the epidemic some fear, surely more that 8 would be dead by now. '

Actually the count is now 9, which is a miniscule number when compared to the number infected. But, the current info indicates that in others which are infected their condition has been stabilized, but not necessarily improved. Hence, no significant improvement which may mean that it could just take more time for the disease to run its course and possible death to occur. With regards to the known deaths, what has not surfaced is how long ago the victims first contracted the disease. So much has yet to be learned, as was the case when Legionaire's (respiratory) disease first surfaced a number of years ago.

I can see it now...planeloads of worried passengers wearing goggles (not glasses, to cover the eyes and protect suseptable mucous membranes), and surgical masks. Kinda sound like something from a Woody Allen movie ;-)

Archived