Problems phoning LOS?

Redbaron

I've had a few problems phoning the gf lately. Today I called several times and each time we could talk fine for a few seconds, sometimes a minute or 2 at most but then only I can hear her, she cannot hear me. Normally I use a pre paid international phone card, but today I also used the normal fixed line phone, and also my mobile (cell) phone out of sheer frustraltion.. to no avail, same problem.

On the other hand, she called me back using her phone. No problems at all doing it that way. At first I thought her phone must be cactus, but she can call me with crystal clear reception.

Any ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's in bangers, I'm calling her on her mobile (cell), and this problem has happened before, but I assumed it was the phonecard being a bit crap. Today, we were quite anxious to talk (she had some good news from mum), therefore I tried the other options, to no avail. Luckily her calling me was an option, but unfortunately she had to use her phone (no international card) and it would have cost a smal fortune.

From memory, this only happens on weekends (busy time?), so I'll try again during the week, but that means I have to stay up late which is a real prick as I get up at the ungodly hour of 330am. It's pretty hard to talk when I call her at work, which I don't like doing, so I need to call her around 10 or 11 Oz time, when she finished her job.

Says Redbaron:

... but I assumed it was the phonecard being a bit crap.

Lazy question to avoid search: I generally have a crap connection with a ThaiTel phonecard. Anybody know: do the phonecard companies use satellite or some 3rd rate form of connection? Does anybody have any ACTUAL EXPERIENCE in a card with good rates AND connections? Calling from US to TL mobile. Do they work better when phoning to a landline?

They do not all work the same way.

Here is a link to a little bit of card comparison. I use Rama cards. Few disconnects and good quality. But even when I use my regular line (most of the time) there are disconnects and errors as described previously. On busy weekends and holidays a conversation may not last more than 10 minutes. Bad days redialing every few minutes. That may not be the best card for you. One major determiner is if you are calling the provinces or BKK, or mobile phones.

Here's another provider: http://thai.org/callingcard/

Whenever I'm in the US my wife and I talk on the phone at least once or twice a day. Besides family matters there are daily business related conversations, etc.

Anyway, I've found this card to be the cheapest and most convenient. The $20 Platinum Card is 6.5 to Bangkok and 21.79 outside and cell phones, when using a local access number, one minute rounding.

They have a new card which I haven't tried, 3.7 (!) to Bangkok and 18.9 outside and cell phone. Although, this card carries three minute rounding and time of day restrictions.

Sometimes there are connection problems, seems to be a problem with all cards. When it happens I'll just call direct or ask her to call me. (I pay something like $3.95 per month to Verizon for discounted Int access, still a bit expensive, something like 40 cents a minute.)

BTW, when dialing from Thailand (to the US) we always use the prefix 001-809-1+area code & number. I don't know how much it saves but my wife says it reduces the charges to 19 baht per minute to the US.

I'm actually searching "Technology" for information on using my PC to make calls to Thailand. So far I haven't found much encouraging info. Guess I'll just continue to try for short duration calls whenever possible.

"I've used this one calling US to Thailand cell phones. About 0.14/min. No complaints. It's the only one I've tried so I can't give an honest comparison to other ones.

http://www.netphonecard.com/ "

Well, Bahnawk's recommendation seems to be the cheapest card for outside Bangkok and cell phones. Wish I had taken the time to find something like this last month when the wife was upcountry renovating Mom's house. We must have talked two or three times a day for 15 or 20 minutes a call. Very expensive at 22 cents at minute. :o

Archived